94 YJ Makes noise and slips front in 4WD

mc355ss

Hey All, I have a 94 Wrangler and it runs great in 2wd but when I put it in 4wd I can feel the front end trying to engage and hear grinding noise. It will sometime engage and other times just spin the rear wheels and make the noise. The noise sounds like its coming from the transfer case, or the front driveshaft. I am wondering if its the vacume control trying to engage the front diff, the driveshaft yoke, or the transfer case. It sounds like gears trying to engage and making a grinding noise. Its a 4.0 5spd. Thanks for any help here!

Welcome to the Z. It's most likely in the transfer case, the disconnect will not grind. If the 4wd light comes on the disconnect is working properly.

Drain and inspect the fluid in the transfer case. It could be dry, or the fluid will show signs of debris from internal problems. I have a ton of transfer case parts if you or somebody you know is up to rebuilding yours. I'd do it if you were close to St. Louis.

Thanks for the info, Thats what I was afraid of. The 4wd light does come on. The rear driveshaft was out of the jeep when I got it, I fixed the ujoint and filled the transfer with 80-90w oil to drive it home (3 miles or so). It took 2 quarts. Looks like that should have ATF in it so maybe that will do it? I am going to drain and fill with ATF and see how she does. Will check for shavings and let you know...

Changed it with atf and same deal. What part in that 231 would cause that? I'm going to try and find some diagrams.

Most likely in the mode and range forks, as well as the hub and collars. The 231 is real easy to work on, just make sure to buy a set of lock-ring pliers (flat knurled duckbill ends).

Thanks Hunter. Drove it about 50 miles on the highway to see if getting it warmed up with the right fluid would help and it seemed to. Took it up a some hills with snow and in 4hi it made the noise for a sec then engaged and pulled up the hill. Wheeled in 4lo and it pulled hard with no slip. Its fine now in 4lo and 4hi got better. Would it hurt to drive it more and see if it clears up? I'm going to check out the linkage too, and change it to synthetic atf.

Won't hurt to drive it more as long as it's not grinding or making other noises.

Filter the fluid when you change it and watch for plastic particles.

Got the transfer case apart, the plastic wear tabs were off and the forks were worn. I have another tcase with good forks and all, but I need to get some plastic tabs for those forks. Anyone know where I can get them? Thanks!

A dealer can get those fork pads for you. if i remember correctly, there's 3 pads on the fork. one on each end of the fork and one in the mid section of the fork radius.

Back