starter removal problems

n2jeeps

I have a 92' Wrangler. I started to swap out the my starter for a new one so I slid under the Jeep (no jack needed hehe) and the first problem was that I found torx bolts (geez). Just a heads up for anyone that might run into this you need a #12 torx socket and a swivel to get by a bolt that is in the way. Here is my problem...I got the starter loose but it will not slide out. Is it hung up on the flywheel?? Any tips would be great.

Welp, I just got a answer from another site. They said it's tricky to get out with not much room and that it is just hung up on the dust cover. I guess I will go out and try again now that the sun is back up. I will reply back if it was just something stupid so someone else can avoid the headache. I drove a CJ and a Scout for years and have never had this much problems swapping out a starter (grrr).

I took your advise Marlor and that did the trick. The new one just slid right in and everything went smooth after the "brute force extraction". Man that was the worst starter I have ever changed.

Back