yet another update on my 88 yj (help!!!!)

marc

well guys i spent my day off on the jeep as usual if its not this one then its the other one, I got a new carb i went ahead and put another carter on it, it was cheap new and has a 2 year warrenty if I dont try to adjust it, but here is the problem I also gave it a full tune up before i put the new carb on, it still wants to idle through the roof, i am talking 1500-2400 rpms but never lower than 1500 any body have any ideas for this one i dont want to void my carb warenty and to be honest there is more stuff hangin off of it than tbi fuel injection so i dont know where to start i checked all of my vacume hoses atleast a dozen times also i numbered all of them so I wouldnt get confused so i am certain they are all on right I also was under it looking at all of the drive line found a danna 44 in the rear is this common on an 88 yj with the 258?please help with the carb question please thanks

marc[addsig]

i may be wrong but i think the only rear axle that came with those years was the dana 35.. i own an 89 wrangler and thats what i have in it....consider yourself lucky...the 44 is a much tougher axle than the 35....now you can run lockers...35 inch tires..you know...the good stuff
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Check to see if if the choke control rod on the carb is bent or sticking. I have an 89' yj and my choke was always failing and it was just a rod. if not, when it is revving real highly try, in a quick thrusty fashion, pushe the gas pedal down and release it quickly. that will reset the choke to shut it off. If that doesn't work you should buy a Haynes repair manual, it is very helpful.[addsig]

don't want to sound like a bubble burster...haha...but i'm just not fond of ANYTHING on the carter...i put in a holley a year ago...much better...way less problems...sorry for no helpful hints on this one![addsig]

thanks guys, i tried the pushing down the throttle thing with no avail, I talked to a guy at the auto parts store where I bought it and he said that i can adjust the curb idle speed with out voiding the warenty so i will try it thanks for yalls help

marc[addsig]

Try holding the throttle closed with your finger and as mentioned make sure it isn´t on a high idle step from the choke. Make sure your throttle cable isn´t holding the butterflies open a touch and that you´re return spring is strong enough, most carters come with double return springs for a reason. A weak return spring can cause the vacumn to open the butterflies a little, causing high idle. And if one spring breaks you have a back-up.[addsig]

A friend of mine just went through the same problem with his 89. It turned out to be the intake gasket. Put some dish soap around the gasket area while it is runned and you'll see if it is no good by the bubbles.[addsig]

Back