Stock Speedo + 33"s = ?

Boze

I was wondering how much faster I am going actually going with the new 33's compared to what the speedo says. I know there is a hoo****y you can install that gives you the adjusted speed, but I have more important stuff to spend my hard earned dough on, (like and SYE and lockers :shades:). Anybody have a guesstimation of what I should add to what the speedo says?

I can't answer your question but if you or a buddy has a GPS that would give you an accurate read of your true speed.

Yes. You also want a correct reading as the ECM uses the VSS input in its operation.

The VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor ) is an Input to the ECM(Electronic Control Module) and ABS (Antilock Braking System) Module if equipped. If the VSS signal is not true to actual speed, it will greatly affect ABS engagement, Transmission shift points(if automatic).. That's a Good Info. from Bounty_Hunter, I didn't know that..i learn something new everyday..

Just an FYI - The Jeep dealer near me can order a new speedo gear for $80.35, but Quadratec sells them for just $20.

HA! That's sounds about right for the Dealer's 465,892% markup! Scumbags. Thanks for all the help guys.

I have 33"s on my 02 tj and ive driven next to friends while talkin to them on the phone and figured out that my speedo was aroung 5mph slower than i was actually driving. So, if my speedo said 50, i am actually going about 55. Get a friend to drive beside you at equal speed and see how fast theyre going.

That'll get you close, but you are relying on the accurateness of your friend's speedo and any minute change in speed. I've found a GPS in the rig is a lot more accurate.

Tacoma Speedometer - Home is a great company to get speedo gears from, cheap and fast.

I ordered a new one from Quadratec, waited a day then my order was canceled because they are no longer in stock :(

The chart says I need a 33 tooth gear (3.73 with 31s)

Any idea what the stock gear or tire size would be on my 2005 SE / auto?

Probably a 35 or 36. It's one 1/2" bolt to pull the speedo sending unit and check out the gear, the tooth count is stamped into the gear.

Back