Offset rims or spacers?

Boze

I have my 33x12.5s mounted on the stock rims b/c I couldn't afford to get aftermarket just yet. When I do get the cash, I was wondering if it would be better to go ahead and get the offset steel rims, or stick with stock and get the spacers. I personaly like the idea of rims better, (seems like one less thing to break). Also, If I do get offset rims, how much offset should I get. I rub on my leafs at full lock, also I have a set of TJ flares waiting for install, so I'm not worried about vertical tire rub. The guy at the 4 wheel shop I go to said 3 5/8" would be the best option for offset rims but that just seems like way too much! I don't want to replace wheel bearings every time I change my oil! Any help here would be appreciated, THANKS!

If it were me, I would go with the preferred backspacing on the rims. In my mind, the spacers would put more stress on the bearings than the rims would.

My $.02.

mud

If you are not getting tire rub on either the springs or the body I wouldn't worry about spacers or new rims.

I ran with Spidertrax spacers for about 6 months till I broke my rear pinion in the crappy d35. They kept the 35s from rubbing on my leaf springs at a full turn. I only used them on the front d30 to get rid of the rubing and left the rears alone. Never had any problems either.

More $.02
Bacon

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.18/.fhttp://www.spidertrax.com/Toyota-Hu...9651a10260bd9cda.e3eTaxePaNqNe34Pa38Ta38Nbxr0

I have the spacers on ford rims and it sticks out far enough not to scrub. just a little bit at wheel lock.

MORE $.02

The spacers don't add any more stress to the wheel bearings that offset wheels do, the amount of leverage is the same.

If you like your current wheels, get spacers. If you want a different look, get new wheels with 3.5"-4" of backspacing and you should be okay.

Should I stick with 8" wide rims or go wider? Tires are 12.5, seems like they're rounding out pretty bad even at lower pressure. I don't want to wear the center tread out too fast. Do you think wider rims would stop the tires from bulging so bad?

If you go offroad, stick with 8" wheels, they hold the bead better at lower pressures and the sidewall bulge helps protect the rim from damage.

If no wheelin, go with the 10" for a flatter contact patch at higher psi.

Back