shocked or not?

fathead

I,m thinking about a 2'' to 2.5'' bb lift, will my standard shocks work with this lift I have an 05 tj.I know there are kits out there that come with shocks like the 2'' rubicon express but my budget needs a boost also, so I,m trying to keep it as cheap as possible for now.Just wanted to know if I could get away with stock shocks for now without doing any damage.Or do I need longer shocks from the get go.Could use some advise thanks!

You can do the spacers only, no shocks or anything else, if you plan on keeping the jeep onroad. The stock shocks work fine but will limit down-travel if you were to take the jeep offroad. You can always get shocks later.

One thing I recommend with spacers is the adjustable cam bolts (about $35 at the dealer). They replace the control arm bolts where the front lower control arms attach to the axle and allow you to adjust your caster and pinion angle. After the spacer install, adjust the cam bolts to push the bottom of the front axle as far forward as possible. This will correct your caster and remove driveline vibes.

All right thanks for the info,I will definately get new shocks later, longer ones for the travel, but shocks are in fairly good shape still so I;ll run em for awhile.Bounty thanks for the advice on the cam bolts good to know!

I just put a 2" BB on and kept my shocks. I had just bought a set of Monroe Sensitracks about 6 months ago and hated to replace them. They work fine for me and highway driving so far, but I don't do any hardcore trails .........yet. :p

This may be taken care of by what Bounty Hunter was talking about, (the adjustable cam bolts), but I've heard a few horror stories about the "death wobbles" when using that sort of lift. Aparantly your front wheels can start to shudder so bad at highway speeds that you have to come to a complete stop before they settle down. I was going to put one on a 2000 WJ I had, but after hearing about that decided not to. Not sure how much truth there really is to this, (and I'm not trying to talk you out of it), just make sure you do it safe when you do it. Good luck.

Death wobble is hit and miss with any lift on a coil sprung jeep. It's not specific to one kind of lift.
Very True. I've seen 2 identical JK's with 15 miles on it , taken to a 4wd Offroad outfit and lifted with 4 inches with the same hardwares. Only one had a Death wobble. They were fitted with 18"wheels and 35" tires.

Hmm...Ghosts. It has to be ghosts. Or, like, some kind of demon.

Very True. I've seen 2 identical JK's with 15 miles on it , taken to a 4wd Offroad outfit and lifted with 4 inches with the same hardwares. Only one had a Death wobble. They were fitted with 18"wheels and 35" tires.

With the 2" BB I just put on, I wasn't sure if I would get some mean wobble or not. Took it to the alignment shop and got it all trued in, Now it drives straighter and smoother than it ever did. :???: I havn't bought any cam bolts for the loweres yet as I don't have any vibration or steering wheel jerks. So, as for the Jeeps. To each it's own. ;)

Back