YJ Swaybars, Need 'em or not?

Boze

So I tried to "use" the site, and didn't find a difinitive answer... How much extra articulation can I get without my swaybars, AND, do I really need them on the street on a leaf sprung vehicle? Thanks guys.

Some people use em and some people don't. For offroad most never do. I never had mine period.

So I tried to "use" the site, and didn't find a difinitive answer... How much extra articulation can I get without my swaybars, AND, do I really need them on the street on a leaf sprung vehicle? Thanks guys.
You can achieve the full articulation of your suspension without the swaybar. your max articulation depends on how much lift you have and how long of a travel your shock can handle. your Jeep being a Leaf sprung suspension, you dont have to worry about a limiting strap for over extension of the shocks but you might have to still have a Bump stop. The sway bar will be beneficial on your suspension if you have long Shackles on the leafsprings, it will help with some of the stress on the shackle bolts and not mention that it would also be more stable on highway driving.

I have stock length shackles, so that shoulden't be a problem. With 4" of suspension lift, I should be able to torque out pretty good, (I have some TJ flares i just need to install them), so rubbing shouldn't be a problem. I do drive it on the highway quite a bit, but I'll just go slower around corners. Right on! So long swat bars. I think I'll get the quick disco's eventually.

I'm setup SOA with pretty soft spring packs, and still don't run a swaybar. I'd ditch it, especially with the stiffer springs.

Sounds good. So do I just grind the face off where it connects and knock it out with a puch to remove them? I would like to leave the option to put them back on if I ever, (ghasp), have to sell it.

I got rid of both track bars front and rear. I also don't use the front sway bar. I have been driving like this for about 10 years and had no problems. I have a little more lean in turns but it is not a problem. I don't drive fast anyway. Off road it makes a big difference. Much more suspension flex without the sway bar/track bars.

How about you sell me you sway bar for $50 and then you are making money off the deal!!!?????

Sorry Yuri, gonna keep 'em for the "just in case factor." Still haven't gotten around to removing them yet anyway, my wife distracted me from working on my Jeep with this whole having a new baby thing!!! :lol: Now I have two boys to wash my Jeep after I go mudding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Now I have two boys to wash my Jeep after I go mudding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Be careful with that thought. Last time i went mudding with my kids and nephews they volunteered to wash the Jeep for me inside and out, Literally. I had to flush my whole engine with engine oil thru the crankcase. they managed to powerwash the K&N air filter clean. yup! it's clean alright, even the paper filter ended up floating in the carburator.:D

Be careful with that thought. Last time i went mudding with my kids and nephews they volunteered to wash the Jeep for me inside and out, Literally. I had to flush my whole engine with engine oil thru the crankcase. they managed to powerwash the K&N air filter clean. yup! it's clean alright, even the paper filter ended up floating in the carburator.:D

I don't even know how to respond to that one!!! :lol::lol::lol:

just my .02 what i did on my YJ with a S.O.A. lift with stock springs i got rid of the pan hard pars front and rear.... and made homemade swar bar disco's for about $15 and unless i'm aired down i dont hardly ever hook them up :D and have no trouble with it on the street see flexy

1212433463-2.jpg

Last edited:

Ooo... That looks like a fun Jeep. How did you make the discos? I love homemade parts.

"Pan Hard Parts?" What's that? And if I can torque out like that by just pulling my sway bars off I will be a happy boy! The thing is, I was looking at another web site and it seems it will be harder then I thought to remove them. Anyone know I good "how to" article WITH PICTURES PLEASE, (me no reely enuf fmart for to fingure it out just wit da wordses).

Ooo... That looks like a fun Jeep. How did you make the discos? I love homemade parts.

i cut my orignal swaybar links leaving 1 1/2 to 2" of straight material on each end of them, then took a section to the local plumbing store and bought 1 foot piece of black steel pipe which i had to ream out alittle with a 1/2 drill bit so they would fit, then put each end back on the jeep and measured how long i need the pipe with the jeep sitting on all all fours, then removed them cut the pipe to length slid the pipe over my links and drilled a small hole thru the pipe and links so i could put a hitch pin into them while on the jeep to hold them together. when ya get to the trail you just pull both bottom hitch pins rotate the swaybar up and then remove the upper hitch pins and pipe, put them in your glove box till your done wheeling, works great and saved myself about $100 by not buying the aftermarket disco's :D i'll take some pic's if ya want lemme know

i have a 9 in long arm. long travel lift on my xj. with no sway bars it drives just fine. it leans a littler more now. but i routinely cruise down the freeway at 75 or 80 mph. once you get used to the extra body lean it feels realy safe. my jeep rode a little better when i got rid of the sway bar. i know its not the same suspension. but have a 4 link in the front mine will have more body lean then yours will. i would say toss them and never look back..

ps i have a sway bar forsale for a xj.

So I took off the sway bar today, don't know what I was worried about, it took me about 20 minutes. :eek: I took the rig out to test it right after, but I really didn't notice very much differance. It should tweak way out like all the pictures right? I may just have too stiff of springs or something...I don't know.

Back