1974 CJ restore project

farmallcrew

Im purchasing a 74 CJ from another firefighter in my department. It needs TLC badly. My questions are- I want catalogs for parts but cant find many on the internet where do I go for them? Im taking the old 258 motor out and want to put something else in, im going to let my diesel pickup sit after I get this project done, i want a good sounding motor prefered V8 to take back and forth to work but have good power to go mudding on weekends when im not working, i have ideas of motors and transmissions but what do you guys think? I want to keep it a manual transmission! I will be putting a lift on it. but most of all i need to put a new tub and do alot of other sheet metal work!!!!!! Ive been thinking about putting a fiberglass tub on it rather than the metal one it has on it.

Any suggestions from anything i said??????

Thanks

Ok:

I'll answer what i can.

Jcwhitney sells a ton of replacement panels.
www.jcwhitney.com
www.quadratech.com also is good
www.4wd.com there dencent.

As far as engines, transmission, drive train, I don't really have an answer there. If you google it, there's people that have put diesels to and kind of v-8's in.

I don't have a fiberglass tub, but have looked at doing on for a while now, and everything that i have read about them points to them being a PIA, as everything has to be grounded to the frame.

some pics of the cj

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 785
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 534
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 651
Thats pretty common for what they look around here. Gotta love salt. my 1978 was about that far gone in the front. It was rusted in half for the most part. I put it back together with replacement panels from Jcwhitney, got it running half way decent, for about $1500

Looks like a glass body candidate to me. How's the frame?

If I had money to fix up that rusty dude, I would rebuild and beef up the 258, use dual outlet headers for the v8ish sound you want, and get a t-18 which should mate right up to the dana 20 transfer case. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about motor mounts or swapping bellhousings (I think). Maybe it already has a t-18! That old straight six sound really stands out... in a good way... at least I think so.

As far as parts, Collins Brothers Jeeps and Jeep Parts , they have tubs and lots of floorboard stuff. Ebay, too.

Wow! thats a lot of body work. Whats that Jug in the engine compartment? Moonshine?

fame is ok, me and a buddy are going to sandblast it and check it out. the driver side floor has a piece of plywood on the floor and i tried moving it and my buddy underneith said he could see as much plywoood on the floor as he could see underneith. Im still up in the air of what i want to do with the motor and transmission. I would like it to be a 4 spd, instead of the the 3 spd it is now. KEEP THE ADVICE COMMING GUY IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im still a virgin Jeep owner.

SteelHeadz hahaha no i wish it was shine though, that is the over flow for the radiator for now.

That is a lost cause. you will invest way too much money into saving it. for 4 grand you can buy a near restored CJ of the same vintage, running rust free. I have restored a couple CJ's in my time, unless you really like the rebuild process and time and money is not an issue, go for it.

The cheapest resto I did cost me about $3000 when all said and done, it was a stock rebuild on a cj, I used mostly used parts and rattle can paint job.

If your going to put a new tub on it good deal. But otherwise patch panels are your friend.

he sold the tub. but the girlfriend and myself are going to a u-pull-it yard tomarrow, after i get of work. nothing like waking up at 230 and smelling cow manure and pull on teats.

he sold the tub. but the girlfriend and myself are going to a u-pull-it yard tomarrow, after i get of work. nothing like waking up at 230 and smelling cow manure and pull on teats.
LMAO:lol::lol:

Wow bro. Thats some serious body work to be done. Alot of money is going to be invested to save that. Good Luck.

I got some parts catalogs in the mail. I got Quadratec. and they have the best prices on body panels. Does anyone have experience with using panels instead of using a whole tub from the pics i have posted??? it is the cheaper way out. I have body work experience and my one buddy does it for a living so i know we can do it.

I've Replaced a right rear corner panel off a CJ7 for a friend of mine. i was surprised how it looked exactly like the original like the lip and the fender well radious. I think the trick is getting the panels the way theyr'e made, not the way the UPS guy reshaped it.

Steelheadz-hahaha yea UPS can mangle stuff up.

My next question is. im thinking about puttin a 350 in the jeep for the simple fact of that 350 parts are very easy to come by and very cheap. but here lyes my question i want to put a 4 spd manul transmission it in but what is good for road driving and on the weekends mudding and what gears????????

Not to sound mean, but that's a parts vehicle at best. Do youself a favor and spend the money on something in better shape to fix up. This Jeep will nickle and dime you to death, and will be very frustrating.

If you do decide to continue, best of luck.

I second most of the comments -- unless you like the art of rebuilding -- and brother do you have some work to do, just pic up something restored. My 74 was a similar basket case, but I enjoy that kind of thing. And I put about $5k into it. Glass tub, 360 rebuild, salvage yard T18/bellhousing, home made drive shafts, new wiring (with fuses this time!), rebuilt gauges, home made hoop, new gear sets, etc. It's about a 4 year old rebuild and I wheel it several times a year.

It's a lot of work!

Go to theCulbertsons.com for a little snapshot of what I did.

Back