Best Lift for A Reasonable Price

orangerubicon06

Hello to everyone my name is Tyler and when i turned 16 in october i got my jeep a 2006 Orange TJ Rubicon and im only 16 and my dad wants me to pay for my on mods so i was looking for a 6 inch lift but since im in school 5 days a week i only make money on the weekends so ive been looking around and i was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on some lifts that are reasonable in price but arent total junk in ride quality and off-road.

There is no cheap 6" lift.There is alot of other mods that would need to be done with a 6" lift.Search some of the other topics and you will see all that is involved in a lift over 4".

Do you plan on running off road or will it be all street?

If it is street only and you want to fit 35's all you would need is 2.5" lift and 1" body lift.

If you plan on wheeling it I would go with the 4" lift.

You will should also regear your axles if your going to run 35's.

Make sure the kit has everything you need or you order everything separate.

Longer brake lines,drop pitman arm,drop t case bracket.There is more but I dont remember atm.

Well its my daily driver to school and wherever else, but im going to be mostly mudding. Me and my dad have been looking around at lifts and ive seen a lot of people with RE and Superlift and Fabtech im just having a hard time deceding to buy a cheaper lift with good reviews or wait and buy one of the more expensive but well known lifts.

Some people out there may not agree with me but Rough Country 4'' lift comes with everything .I've installed it 4 month after I bought the jeep. Never a problem. If you go with 6''' you need to go with a long arm kit.(3K-4K)

ljrubitm: do you have any pictures of your lift cause i have almost 900 dollars saved and im ready to lift my jeep id love to see some pics of your jeep

If you do a 4 inch short arm lift, it's going to run you about 1700$.

The cheapest way to fit 35's would be the 2.5 inch lift with the 1 inch body lift. But as xt said, you would need to regear it.

Do you plan on running off road or will it be all street?
If it is street only and you want to fit 35's all you would need is 2.5" lift and 1" body lift.
If you plan on wheeling it I would go with the 4" lift.
You will should also regear your axles if your going to run 35's.
Make sure the kit has everything you need or you order everything separate.
Longer brake lines,drop pitman arm,drop t case bracket.There is more but I dont remember atm.

Yeah, don't forget the other stuff. A lift is only half of your goal. It gets really expensive, really fast. For instance, if your $900 could get you a, say, 4in. lift, with what will you buy your brake lines, SYE, 35in. mudders, usw?

In my honest opinion, you have a really, really nice Jeep that is very capable from the factory. Why not keep it stock, wheel it, slowly accumulate the products necessary for your dream lift, and when you have everything... party time.
Trust me, when you don't have everything on hand at first, you run into problems... perhaps 6 months of problems. :redface:

Collin, I aggree with you wholeheartedly. I'm 30 and have worked pretty hard in life to barely afford my 05 Rubicon which I lifted 7 months ago for what I thought was going to be about 900 bucks. Man, I'm still working out kinks and am in to much more than the origional 900; I often wonder why I monkey'd with it in the first place. I'd say that to be 16 and running an 06 rubicon that you're pretty lucky. That jeep will do more off road while it's stock than any lifted pickup truck will do. Why don't you buy a winch and winch kit with that money so you can get yourself unstuck while learning at the school of hard knocks?

Yeah ............... run 6 months or a year stock, save money, then figure out what you really want to do as far the aftermarket products. Personally, I got a 89 YJ with a 4 inch shackel lift on it. I am taking it back to stock lift this week.

sjlane

IMHO, the best lift for a reasonable price would be a clayton long arm front and rear with OME coils. with a little trimming behind the rear wheels and correct axle upgrades, fit 37" tires are not an issue.

ya your looking at $4000, but to some people that is affordable.

Tyler, Any lift over 4 inches will cost a pretty penny, not only that any long arm kit is going to require you to cut off the factory control arms and mounts to give you room to weld in the new mounts farther back. A good 4-6 inch lift lit will around 3K$ and up depending on what the kit comes with. Not only will you need the lift kit but you also have to factor in shocks, brake line extensions and new drive lines. You will not need a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit because the Rubicons come with one already in the form of a flange type rear drive shaft.

With a limited budget your best bet is going in stages, like starting off with a 1 inch body lift and drive that for a while as you get use to your jeep. Save up for this big lift, till you can drop the big bucks down on a lift you can afford and with the options you want.
The factory equipped Rubicon is a highly capable machine right off the show room floor, with Factory Dana 44's front and rear, 4:1 reduction in the OR241 transfer case, and 4.0 motor your Rubicon will take you places that other stock jeep could only dream about.
This should allow you plenty of time to research all the lift MFG's out there and help you make a better choice later on.

Hold off buying things like a winch or other things till you find your self getting stuck and have a need for them. Half the fun of getting stuck is finding your own skills of getting unstuck. Personally I waited 8 years till I bought a high dollar hood ornament (winch) and found that I learned a lot more learning how to get my jeep unstuck using things like a hi-lift jack, strap and a good olé shovel. And the memories were better, because I rescued myself and now know exactly what my jeep is capable of, and what other stock or near stock jeep can and can not do.

For what its worth, I am going with the Rough Country lift seen HERE.

Its a peeve of mine, but could you please punctuate? You arent texting here.

Would I need a drive shaft if I was to install a 4" lift? ie., Tom Woods

Bam, yes you would with a 4 inch lift. If you already own a Rubicon it would be cheaper to take yours down and have the lower section cut and a new longer section added.

I would like to say thanks for everyones help on here. and i understand what you guys are all saying about doing it in sections. and i know im very lucky to have gotten my car and im thankful. to all who have helped thanks and have a good day.

orangerubicon06,look into Rough Country web site.they have two 4'' lifts under 1K. and they are both complete kits,w/ shocks.Also i just read in 4 Wheeler pg. 68 they installed the RC X-Series on a 97 Wrangler, they seem to like it.
P.S. It's the May issue.

orangerubicon06 i know where your coming from i'm 16 myself and i have a 5 inch and cost me around $250 which is a 2 inch body lift and 3 inch coil spacers, which is plently enough for 35's

Back