oil leak near dipstick tube

T-rav

Ok this one is driving me crazy.:???:. My 1990 yj has been leaking oil right where the dipstick tube goes into the motor block. I think thats where it's coming from anyways. But the thing is it dosn't leak while idleing. But if i drive down the road and back i have oil all over side of motor and distribor cap. Valve cover, oil pan gasket are all new so cant be those. Just wondering if there is an o-ring on the dipstick tube where it goes into the block and can i pull the entire tube out a replace it.

The dipstick tube should just be a press fit in the block - no O ring (unless the newer ones are different). If you have that much leaking around the tube it might be coming from the top of the tube and dripping down to the block area. This could happen if your PCV system is not working correctly. Check your PCV hoses and valve (if there is one) and make sure you don't have a clog or missing hose. Best of luck - John

I dont think it can be coming from the top of the tube because i just replaced the old stick ( Not the tube ) with a new one.

Back