Gear patterns

Collin the Hen

Well, I've started my axles.
When I get a nice centered, not too high, not too low, ovate shape on the drive side of my ring, the coast side is towards the upper toe. My backlash is consistent at .007 currently.

What would make my coast side towards the upper toe yet my drive side ideal?

These are used gears, so would that explain it?

I'll read some more, but any help would be very nice.

Would this help?

Attachments

• Gear patterns.gif
    Gear patterns.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 312
Well, I already have one, or 10. I'll use that for an example, though.

My drive wear is the top left pic. Then for my coast side, it looks similar to the third down, to the right.

I'll mess with my backlash today and see if I get anywhere...

Attachments

• pattern-ok.gif
    pattern-ok.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,139

Ok gentlemen. It looks like I have hope. Steelheadz, http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Book/Reading_and_Adjusting_Ring_and_Pinion_Tooth_Patterns.pdf this could be very helpful for when you get into your axles.

It turns out that for used gears, you are supposed to get a nice pattern based on the coast side which is used less so an accurate setting can be made. Also, there are a variety of acceptable patterns. Take a look!

Cool Thanks. I have a several CD's that has specific Chrysler axle setup procedures that's similar to what that link is showing. I couldn't copy it to my laptop or hack it to show you. sorry.

Ah, a video. Must be the fancy type.

I'm still reading stuff all over the internet about this, so I'm still learning. I never thought anything could be so tedious... :coffee:

Back