My $20 hard top!

Boze

I got this hard top for twenty bucks. It has a few scratches I can easily sand down and cover with herc. I need a new rear window glass, but the defrosters, wiper motor and arm, and hinges are there. There is one good sized chunk missing, (see pic), but all in all, 20 bucks seemed good to me.

PROBLEM IS: It's off a TJ and I have a YJ. I know the windshields are at a different angle and the doors are a little different, but I should be able to make it work, right? Has anyone ever done this? I figure even if I can't make it work I could at least fix it up and sell it. But I would really like to have a hard top.

Attachments

• 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 732
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 209

That's a Great deal!, better yet , it's a steal. You can re-work that missing chunk with a fiberglass resin and get it to where it's as good as new. I have a Rear Glass that would fit that. It came off a TJ as well. as far as fitment is, i don't know how much of an angle difference there is in on the header section. as far as the door dimensions, i think (i could be wrong) they are pretty much the same. When i installed an 04 Rubi. soft top on my 81 CJ7, all the dimensions fit the same as the 04 rubi. exept the header area. i had the upholstery shop chop off 2" at the end and had the plastic header channel stitched onto the end like the original CJ's style top. I think, the best thing to do right now is to set the top on your Jeep and see what fitment mods. that needs to be done. this will give you an idea also on the door dimensions if it would work. Bounty_hunter knows a lot more of this than i do, i'm sure he would give you some tips on what needs to be done. I've been contemplating on this project, but i haven't tried it yet. I'm glad you beat me to it:lol:.. Let me know if you want the glass..

Man, I was dissappointed!:( When I saw the title of the thread, the hillbilly in me was expecting to see some pics of 2X4's and plywood.........or something similar.:lol::lol::lol:

You got a STEAL!!!!! $20?? How can you lose!! Good find - keep us posted on your improvements/repairs.

Cheapo hillbilly mud

Man, I was dissappointed!:( When I saw the title of the thread, the hillbilly in me was expecting to see some pics of 2X4's and plywood.........or something similar.:lol::lol::lol:

You got a STEAL!!!!! $20?? How can you lose!! Good find - keep us posted on your improvements/repairs.

Cheapo hillbilly mud

I was expecting the same exact thing lol!

Darn I was hoping this was mis-posted for the for sale section...20$ you lucky duck.

Cheap-o in Utah

BTW.........I love the decorations on top of it!! Did those come with it, too (Full, I hope)????:lol::lol::lol:

BTW.........I love the decorations on top of it!! Did those come with it, too (Full, I hope)????:lol::lol::lol:

No, those were collected from the "standing there staring at it with an open beer wondering how the heck I'm gonna make this thing work" stage of the project. I've got the week off work to help my wife, (who just gave birth to son #2), so naturally that translates to, "a week off to work on the rig!" I'll get the top on today and see how she looks, I'll post some pics.

Re: My $20 hard top! {UPDATE}

So I got the hard top on, and even though it isn't a perfect fit, I think it's going to work just fine. If you look at the pics. you'll see I had to notch the corners of the top b/c it was hanging up on the windshield frame. Even with the notching there is still about a 3/4 inch gap between the header and the top, but I'll just fill that with some thick weather stripping. I had hoped that the soft doors would work untill I could get some full doors, but it's just not possible. (Anyone got some full doors that will fit?)

My only hang up is that I don't have the notches in my header to latch the top down. I know I'll just have to man up and hack it, but I'm hesitant. I'll only get one shot at it and I don't want to mess it up. I'm thinking of having a body shop do it, and maybe they can re-inforce it while they're at it. Any input on this one would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_7328.jpg
    IMG_7328.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_7329.jpg
    IMG_7329.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7337.jpg
    IMG_7337.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_7334.jpg
    IMG_7334.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 255
Pick up a roll of Foam tape from a Craft store or a hardware store. install this on the header area on the hard top where it contacts the windshield frame. this will seal it from water intrusions , wind noise and keep it from squeeking on rough roads. put some on the sides where it sits on the tub as well..

Would TJ soft uppers fit your half doors?My tj soft uppers are rounded that would fit that roof.

I'm not sure about the TJ soft doors. I was going to head down to the Fourwheel drive shop and see if they had a full door to test fit. This is turning into a serious project...

I'm not sure about the TJ soft doors. I was going to head down to the Fourwheel drive shop and see if they had a full door to test fit. This is turning into a serious project...
Y'a, we'll know when it get serious, you'll be making a back window with Saran wrap.:lol::lol:

I got this hard top for twenty bucks. It has a few scratches I can easily sand down and cover with herc. I need a new rear window glass, but the defrosters, wiper motor and arm, and hinges are there. There is one good sized chunk missing, (see pic), but all in all, 20 bucks seemed good to me.

Wanna double your money?

abda abda abda abda I hear 40 dollars, 40 dollars, now 60! 60 dollars now do I hear 80?! Sorry fellers, I'm going to make this thing work. Think I've got it figured out with the top, just need me some doors. (and a rear window Steelheadz) :D

abda abda abda abda I hear 40 dollars, 40 dollars, now 60! 60 dollars now do I hear 80?! Sorry fellers, I'm going to make this thing work. Think I've got it figured out with the top, just need me some doors. (and a rear window Steelheadz) :D
PM me your Zip code and i'll check around to get some shipping prices. Or, you can make arrangements for a pick up, however you want to get this going.

Back