newb/newb

randymack

hi all.

I am purchasing my cousins '97 wrangler sport 4.0. It has 80,000 miles

he is only asking $3,000. body is perfect (rust on spare rim and taillight covers only) new battery,newer tires,a complete set of 4 half tread tires too!

so i couldnt pass this up since i just moved to Arizona.

I believe its a TJ,right? never owneda jeep so any info in this model would be appreciated. He bought it from a friend and gave him little info...no manual etc. what should i do upon receiving? fluids changed? are the belts generally good still?

but i love this JEEP and it runs great and looks good too.

attached is the only pic i have of it.....

so thanks for any and all your help. look forward to exchanging info with everyone.

more pics will follow when i get it and clean it

R~

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 326

Welcome to Jeepz.. I'm not sure what Model she is, But the Jeep looks like a TJ by looking at the roll bar configuration and i think 97 was the first year the TJ's was first introduced. You can't beat that price, that's a steal.

Welcome to Jeepz...
The wrangler TJ 97-05 came into production in the latter part of 96 and sold as a 97. Jeep didn't officially have a 96 but some TJ's were produced in 96. The main change over from the YJ was going to a coil spring suspension and the introduction of 4.0L.
97 to early 2000 still came with a distributor type of ignition.

At this point since you don't know the jeeps whole history your best bet is change all the fluids, including your radiator fluid, transmission, transfer case, power steering fluid, and both axles. I would recommend that you go full synthetic then stick with it since its an older TJ.
Your main belt should have been changed at 50K but don't bet on it and change it, keeping the old one as a spare...I know what the dry summer heat does to it down in AZ.
Visually check your rubber boots on all of your steering knuckles and have them greased as part of your new maintenance schedule.

Your battery should be looked at to see how it held up, summer is coming and it tests any liquid acid core battery down there.

BTW nice pic... Flagstaff perhaps? I grew up in the Tempe/Chandler area till I moved to Utah in 2000.

thanks utah!

and nice guess on the location, but it is a few miles south of flagstaff...HappyJack to be exact. about 40 miles North of payson. my family has a house up there. beautifull area in the coconino National forest (where the pic was taken)

we quad up there as well!

Awesome buy,cant beat that price.Low mileage for a 97 also.Do you know if it has a lift or what size?Looks like bigger tires.If its lifted I would check all the shocks and mounts to make sure who ever did the job,they did it the correct way.

I am very familiar with Happy Jack area, I spent almost every summer working on my Aunts cattle ranch north east of Clint's Wells along 87.
Always loved the Mogollon Rim, especially during the summer.;)

Did most of summer quad-ing just out side of Flagstaff at the cinders ORV area.

WOW! I picked up my '93 YJ a month or so ago for $3,500 and I thought I got a good deal! AND IT HAS ALMOST 200,000 MILES ON IT! Well congrats on breaking into the Jeep world. You are in a great area for it. I used to take my Grand Cherokee out around the Prescott area when I lived in Phoenix FUN STUFF! Also there is such a huge Jeep community in AZ that you shouldn't have any trouble finding parts, wheeling buddies, and people to help you work on it.

As far as tune ups go, I would just go ahead and do all your main hoses, and serpentine belt wether it looks like it needs it or not. IT SUCKS to be broke down in the middle of nowhere, esp. when it's because of something simple that the proverbial "ounce of prevention" could have taken care of. Change out your fluids, air filter, fuel filter, and oil filter. You MAY think of getting new spark plugs at 80,000 miles. Or, at least pull them out and check the gapping, plugs are cheap though so you might as well change them out. Other than that, it's just a case by case basis on what you will need. Have fun and good luck with the new TJ!!! The best $3,000 you've ever spent.

Nice looking jeep. Who would refuse that price?:D. Thats a steal.

Back