Engine knock, knock, knocking on heaven's door

Jambo21

I was driving my 82 CJ7 last when the engine began to have a very distinct knock. It sounded as if it was one of the cylanders making the noise. I have had people tell me that is anything from a bad valve to a lower engine problem. I have pretty much come to the realization that I will have to get the engine rebuilt (it has 186K miles on it). I got a quote of $1150, which includes a 1 year 12K mile warranty. Any thought or comments on the price of the rebuild?

$1,150.00 sounds fair for a rebuilt with a 1yr / 12,000 mile warranty. The question is, is this a reputable engine rebuilder that checks the cylinder bore for taper, cylinder head for cracks and warping ,valve seats and guides so on and so forth. There are some engine rebuilders out there that claims that everything in the engine has met all the specifications and still has the old main and rod bearings.slaps on new gaskets and seals and a can of black spray paint and Booyahh. a new engine. NOT. I think you could save more money by doing it yourself if your up to it. that price is reasonable, just know if it's a good source for your investment.

I may catch some flack over this, but, before you drop 1,150 on a rebuild I would suggest dumping a bottle of Lucas oil additive in your engine and running it for a few minutes. I'd be willing to bet that knock mellows out, or even goes away completely. I swear that stuff is a gift from God. It's not too expensive, get it at any autozone, Napa, Etc. Just make sure it's "Lucas." Good Luck.

I spoke with a mechanic I know and he says the Shop that Gave me the $1150 quote does good work and he has used them in the past. My brother in law has been involved with Stock car racing for about 14 years (Late Models and Winston West). He was sponsored by lucas oil for a season when he raced quads and he too swears by Lucas oil products. I already planned (and purchased) on putting in a Howell fuel injction Kit. Would it be bennificial to do a rebuild prior to putting in the kit. I am hesitant to put in the fuel Injection and later having engine problems.

Check for slack in the timing chain. I too have a 258 I6. When I pulled my motor to rebuild it, I found out the knock was from the very stretched timing chain slapping into the timing cover. It is worth a look.

I agree with Boze on this one. Before i dropped $ 1,150.00 in the motor (More than likley what you will have to do) I would try a bottle of lucas. Maybe you can solve your problem for $15 dollars. Best of luck.

Back