91 YJ front left wheel bearing swap

sledd

Can anyone tell me whats involved in putting a new wheel bearing set in my front axle? Its rough when wheel is in the air and turning by hand.Thanks all!!!! Sledd

Jack jeep up Take off tire, and remove the center cap from the wheel and the hub nut lock and cotter pin, put tire back on put back on the ground. Use a (I think ) 32 MM hub socket, might be 33 MM and take the hub nut off, this step may be needed, if you can get it off in the air, way to be, but I am assuming it is the original unit bearing.

Jack back up, take off caliper, rotor. there are three 13mm 12 pt bolt on the back of the knuckle, those come out and the bearing should come right off. reassemble is the opposite.

I don't think I have missed anything. Have not worked on a D30 in a long time so someone might want to correct me if I am wrong.

Awesome Johnny. Do the bearings come out of the hub or part of an integral unit? Sledd.....

it's a bearing and hub assembly, and i believe you'll need a 36 mm deep well socket for the axle nut, on reassembly you will want to make sure you torque to i believe it's 175 foot lbs, if you do not have or can't borrow a torque wrench you could always leave the axle and hub together and pull as one unit once yopu have removed the caliper, rotor and 3 bolts in the back BUT becareful not to damage the inner axle seal while sliding the axle out or back in.... hope that helps ya.

Axle nut is 36mm. When attempting to remove the hub from the knuckle, back out the 13mm bolts on the back of the knuckle 1/8" at a time. Cover the bolt head with an old socket and tap the bolts until flush with the knuckle. Back out another 1/8" and repeat. This is the best way I've found to force out the stubborn hub.

Back