Why Can't I Articulate?

Boze

4" leaf spring lift...Check
Longer shocks...Check
Removed Sway bar...Check

So why won't my YJ torque way out like some of these guy's rigs I see in pictures? I've got to be overlooking something. Is it worth it to get those "boomarang" shackles? Somebody throw me a bone here.

are your pan hard bars or trac bars still hooked up ??? plus the ones you see in the pic's may still have the stock soft and flexy springs where your lift springs are alot stiffer

i have teraflex revolvers shackles in the rear and really like them so far other than a little thud when they close back up once and a while but no big, and i will be installing them on the frt. this spring once i install a high steer kit...... the only down fall is they will want to unload or open on steep hills a little unnerving for some but i will concour that with a suck down winch frt and rear :shades:

do you have a pic of your rig flexing ??

Last edited:
Are your shackles on too tight? That could do it. My CJ rode horribly with the old shackles not to mention little flex. After I took them off to replace them, I could hardly move them with a sledge!

Also, I don't know how crazy you'd want to get, but you can move your rear spring hanger forward to increase the downward travel. I did that, but I haven't tested the flex yet since it's still getting surgery. I guess that's what boomarangs are for, though.

4" leaf spring lift...Check
Longer shocks...Check
Removed Sway bar...Check

So why won't my YJ torque way out like some of these guy's rigs I see in pictures? I've got to be overlooking something. Is it worth it to get those "boomarang" shackles? Somebody throw me a bone here.

As Collin and Buckaroo suggested, Your shackles may be too tight. If your using Greasable shackles, make sure theres sufficient lubrication in them. I heard that the Revolver Shackles are pretty good but not very stable on high speed turns.

Because you have leaf springs too.

You did not state you had no flex so I will assume you have some.

As Gay as I think "flex factor" is because the driver will get the vehicle through the obsticle, not the vehicle getting the driver through..

Here is a pic of my jeep last summer screwing around at a BBQ. I have 3" lift springs, boomerangs front and rear, although not in this pic. no tac bars, no sway bars, properly fitted shocks. You will see that it just won't articulate like a links and coil sprung vehicle. but don't worry, your YJ will be 900X more stable on a side slope, way more predictable off road, and way more durable in my opinion.

Leaf springs rock!

l_87b5de814af258647711cbfacf21563a-2.jpg

Because you have leaf springs too.

You did not state you had no flex so I will assume you have some.

As Gay as I think "flex factor" is because the driver will get the vehicle through the obsticle, not the vehicle getting the driver through..

Here is a pic of my jeep last summer screwing around at a BBQ. I have 3" lift springs, boomerangs front and rear, although not in this pic. no tac bars, no sway bars, properly fitted shocks. You will see that it just won't articulate like a links and coil sprung vehicle. but don't worry, your YJ will be 900X more stable on a side slope, way more predictable off road, and way more durable in my opinion.

Leaf springs rock!

l_87b5de814af258647711cbfacf21563a-2.jpg

just my .02 but i agree and disagree with having awesome flex being gay while yes you are correct about the driver's skills getting the rig through or over an obsticle but having alot of flex can also help you keep all 4 wheels on the ground without beating the crap out of the rig to get it through or in this pic. over it :shades:
1212433466-2.jpg

oh yeah and just to play around have fun and show off to :D

I took the rear track bar off last night...a five minute operation. I just got back from testing it out and it was way better in the rear. I think I've figured out the problem. When the shop put my lift on, (a mistake I will never make again), they swapped out the lower shackle bushing with the polyurethane ones that came in the kit, but left the old rotted out rubber ones in the upper part of the shckle where it connects to the frame. I tried loosening the bolts and they are so siezed up I was affraid I was going to snap them off. I'm pretty sure the shakcles are just frozen in place which would account for my front end not drooping, and the tank-like feel of my suspension on the street. So, next on the list will be, boomerang shackles and new bushings. Hopefully that will solve it. One thing though, Should I get greasable shackles or not? Are they much better?

Greasable shackles don't squeak. They are really smooth, too. I bought some Currie greasable shackles, and they are nice.

I was actually thinking about making my own shackles, but after pricing new bushings and greasable bolts, it was cheaper to buy the Currie ones. Did I mention they were nice?

you did indeed. I'm ordering them Monday. I think Currie is in San Diego, or close by, maybe I'll just go pick them up...hmm...

just my .02 but i agree and disagree with having awesome flex being gay while yes you are correct about the driver's skills getting the rig through or over an obsticle but having alot of flex can also help you keep all 4 wheels on the ground without beating the crap out of the rig to get it through or in this pic. over it

You are 100% correct about keeping tires on the ground, and the phot you posted is in reality about the same as mine, just the opposite side view. I guess it is also different styles, or types, or what ever of wheeling. stickly in my opinion, what fun is it if you can't beat your vehicle? and I make no query about you or your vehicle, skill etc... I just prefer to go hard on my stuff.

P.S. I think I know the trail in that pic, is it north west mass?

Then you'd probably need new shafts and a SYE. Then, you'd realize you're getting pretty hardcore and opt for some 4.56 gears with a Ford 8.8. But wait, what use are tires if only one spins? Here comes the Detroit lockers. Don't round out your front splines! You'd better buy some Superior axle shafts for the front. Pop! There goes your overstretched brakelines. You'd better buy some Crown Performance stainless steel brake hoses. Oh crap! You broke your brake line trying to get that rusty bolt off your brake hose. New brake lines... yay! Whilst rumaging through your frame, you realize that it's pretty rusty. Here comes the POR-15. OH NO! Your gas tank shroud is toast. Better make a new one. While taking the gas tank off, you realize your rear crossmember is also toast. Looks like some more metal purchases...

Intervals, my friend.

You are 100% correct about keeping tires on the ground, and the phot you posted is in reality about the same as mine, just the opposite side view. I guess it is also different styles, or types, or what ever of wheeling. stickly in my opinion, what fun is it if you can't beat your vehicle? and I make no query about you or your vehicle, skill etc... I just prefer to go hard on my stuff.

P.S. I think I know the trail in that pic, is it north west mass?

yeah i agree there are a bunch of different style's of wheeling when i was younger my style was beating my rig using the right foot to get me thru or over whatever was in frt of me, but now i like to go slow and crawl to see what i can get over or thru with as little speed as possible, oh yeah and with alot less breakage :D

p.s. good looking rig by the way

the trail in the pic. is in northern n.y i was in western mass last fall and did get a little rough on the YJ :roll: i pretzelized my rear drivshaft trying to get up over a #7 rated obsticle that was on an uphill section of the trail, and then ruined the transfercase driving it 3 hrs home on the frt end :( but now i have a spare shafts with me :)

nice ride currupt. looks like shes had a few brushes with the rocks though:). Now thats what a trail rig should look like! you should post these pics in "you know you have a real jeep if.." in the general chat.

Last edited:
Back