Will my Jeep run if I remove my emissions junk?

Boze

In Crook County Oregon, (where my Jeep is registerd), there is no such thing as emissions controls. Therefore, I was wondering if I could lose all the lame-o smog junk on my 4.0. If I do this will my Jeep even run? Someone out there has to have tried this. Thanks guys.

Yes it will. However, the ECU might be throwing some DTC's your way.

I am not sure on how many codes it requires to send a 93 ECU into whats called safe mode, but I know three non-critical ones on a 01 will put my ECU into safe mode governing the motor to only 40 MPH for 5-10 minutes at a time.
I will ask my mechanic friend this evening

What lame-o smog junk you referring to? About the only thing to remove on a '93 is the catalytic converter, and they really don't hinder performance these days unless it is going bad.

You can remove the catalytic converter on a '93 without tripping the check engine light.

Really? I guess I just assumed it had a smog pump and all that...we all know what happens when you assume. So all those vacume lines and what not serve a legitimate purpose I suppose. (is supposing different than assuming?) Thanks again BountyHunter. :eek:

No smog pump, and you need everything else to keep the ECM happy. The only thing that comes close to robbing power is the converter, and they're not bad anymore.

Back