Starting troubles

Korduroy

So I got up this morning and my jeep won't start.... I've never had a problem with it in 7 years. The battery seems to be fine as all the electronics work and the lights are bright. When I turn the key, the fan etc starts but there is only one single click and then nothing happens... Any suggestions? If its the starter would you even get one click? If its not the starter, would I hear multiple clicks? Any ideas would help... thanks.
Also, I checked the codes and nothing shows up.

Darcy
2002 Jeep TJ
4 cyl. man

One click on the start position occasionally indicates a bad starter solenoid, in your case would be a part of the starter. Multiple clicks usually indicates a weak battery voltage.

Welcome to Jeepz.

haha, I just tried to jump it, but still nothing... one click and .... nothing.
One more thing... the starter wouldn't show up on the codes would it?

There is a statrer relay in the electrical box on the right front fender. You could try switching that with an other in the box of the SAME part number (or just buy a new one). If the "one click" you hear is coming from the starter then you probably need a new starter BUT - check all connections first and make sure they are clean and tight. One more trick - have someone hold the key on "start" and give the starter a LIGHT tap or two with a heavy object. Don't hit it too hard - these are permanent magnet starters and are fairly delicate. If you have a "dead spot" you can sometimes get it going by giving it a little tap. Best of luck - John

Im going to agree with steelheadz on this this one. Pretty positive that its the solenoid in the starter. I had the same problem with my starter. The thing crapped out on me and it was still under warranty.

I had a similar problem.Mine turned out to be a bad ground terminal on the battery.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I turned the key about 30 times and it finally started. Seems to start on the first try ever since then. Should I still get a new starter and stay on the safe side?

Yeah my old one was making this weird noise and i just decided to leave it be. about two weeks later me and a couple of buddys were parked on the beach about ten miles from my house just got out of the water from a surf session ( yeah we can drive on the beach in NC )and the thing just quit on me so I had to change it there. could have been worse I guess so yeah dude I would go ahead and change that.

Back