front axle won`t unlock in 2wd

rremr1964

Hello again, everybody! just need some feedback on what could be causing the front axle to stay locked up when in 2wd. It is the dana 35, according to the book, in a `95 yj. The axle is vacuum controlled by the transfer case. The lines have been cut, though, maybe in an attempt to unlock the axle by the previous owner. Also, while online, i discovered a conversion kit to eliminate the vacuum control that looks like a cable. Is this a good alternative? It`s expensive, but if it`s reliable, I`ll invest in it. Thanks in advance for the replys.:deadhorse:

It's a D30 front axle, 35 rear. if there is a loss of vacuum to the disphram while it was in 4wd, the fork is most likely stuck as well. Usually in this situation, they will pop back into the 2wd mode, but there may be another underlying issue. easy fix is to go to the pass side axle housing and pull the CAD off the axle and manually slide the fork over to unlock the splined collar. this is a temporary fix, you will need to source a new CAD or swap it to a cable actuated unit. There are a ton of write ups on the net about this.

My suggestion would be, if you at all wheel it, source shafts from a TJ or a non-disco 95+ XJ, swap the diff seal and slide them bad boys in there, you get a stronger 1 piece shaft. and since you have a 95 YJ, you will retain the larger U-joints.

Back