Transmission problems AX15 5 Spd

MNCreeper

Help! I have a 97' Jeep TJ that I purchased in CO. There is trail scars from the previous owner. Since owning the jeep, I have had to replace two pinion yokes (1 due to axle wrap caused by two broken lower control arms) rear lower control arms, header, cat. I now I have a transmission that I am unable to use reverse and 5th gear. For starters, when I put the t case in neutal and transmission in reverse gear while engine running, I get a rhythmic clunking sound and I can feel it in my stick shift. When running at hwy speeds, I get the same sound/feel from 5th gear. What is going on? The reverse has been out now for 2.5 years and the 5th gear for about 10 mos. Do I need to just replace my whole transmission or is there something I can do to fix the internals. I don't have alot of money and I'm looking to do this in the most affordable way. Also, would anyone know of any junk yards in MN where I can find other wranglers? I would like to upgrade my axles from Dana 35's to Dana 60's, also the most affordable way. Thank you.

The only way to find out if you need a complete replacement is to remove the transmission and disassemble the unit. from there you can make the assesment of what needs to be replaced and how much it's going to cost for the part. If the cost of the parts are going to run you close to the cost of a junkyard trans. replacement, then i would just take a chance with the junkyard trans.. From what you have described on the transmission concern, it's possible that the Reverse pin has sheared off. The noise on the fifth gear is more likely to be caused by a broken tooth or two on the gear. These are just speculations, not a definitive diagnosis. Removal and inspection of the gears is the best definitive diagnosis. There's a few special tools required to facilitate the disassembly of some of the gears from the mainshaft and a few more to get in the technical specifications for the gears and synchro rings proper clearance..

You might want to look for a used NV 3500. Its my understanding this swap is a direct bolt in; same bell housing, drive lines, and no adaptors. I have not personaly done this swap however but know a lot of guys have. The AX 15 is not known for being a strong transmission so why throw good money after bad.

K, gives me alot to think about. Now, what vehicles had the NV3500? Living in MN, it's very difficult to find a manual transmission in the boneyard. Nobody here likes to enjoy their vehicles. It will take me awhile to search the boneyards. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Actually its a NV3550 (I miss spoke) and it can be found in 2000 to 2004 Wranglers as well as other GM & Dodge trucks. I would try for a Wrangler version so you know the bolt patterns are correct. Someone must have totaled out onr in your area. I know a wrecking yard in my area that only deals in Wrangles and has just about any part you could need; may have to wait a little bit for a wrecked one to come in with what you need but usually not long. I'm sure they ship as well as you can get rebuilt ones from various outlets.

Back