Idleing problems..Wont stay running

BAM4x4

*sigh*:???:

I dont know wtf is going on.

Lets start from the begining.. Today I changed my oil and filter, checked fluids, checked air filter, differentials, cleaned battery posts and connecters, topped battery off with water,.. and thats about it.

So after I was done, I started it up and let it idle. Everything was running okay until I started to back it up into my driveway then it stalled. So I figured eh, maybe I let the clutch out to soon no biggie. I restarted it and let it idle a second and it stalled with out putting any pressure on the engine. Now it wont stay running unless I have my foot on the gas, and it dies once I take it off.

It does need an air filter but it was running fine before I even did the service on it.

What is going on?:(
Thanks guys.

'04 Rubi

Re-check the battery connections, make sure their tight. Check the TPS @ idle. Wiggle the TPS connector and see if it changes idle characteristics..

Hey Steel, Could it be the AIS motor?
Someone my dad works with says thats the problem.

I tried doing what you said and nothing changed.

Its fine untill it warms up to operating temp.

Last edited:

AIS (Air intake sensor)?, that should be on the T. body air intake tube going to the air filter. It's a tiny sensor (2 wire)..

IAC (Idle air Control) is mounted on the side of the Throttle body. the pintle or plunger is possibly stuck.

Attachments

• IAC.gif
    IAC.gif
    16.1 KB · Views: 447
  • IAC motor.gif
    IAC motor.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 498

Well, I cleaned the adapters on the TPS and the IAC Motor and also took off the intake hose cleaned inside the throttle body, opened up the valve and cleaned in there (it was pretty gross).
I put it back togetehr and its running okay now.
My dad dropped me off a new IAC motor and a new TPS just in case that doesnt work. Im heading to school right now ill find out on the way if there are any more problems.
Thanks Steel.

I am having the same problem. It started yesterday where it was hard to start but once it started it ran fine but today it stalled 10 times in just 3 miles. It's very hard to start once it stalls, I have to hold down the throttle wide open and just crank untill she starts (30 seconds to a minute cranking) and once it starts i have to keep the rpms above 3 grand just to keep it running and just slam it into gear and keep it in low gear so the engine stays on the high rpms just to drive it.

also, it probably would help you to know that it's a 1996 xj 4.0

So fare i have taken off all the sensors off the thottle body and intake manifold and inspected them for carosin. they all looked fine. Checked the fuel pressure off the fuel rail, it had 50 psi.
now that i have it home and i start it, it has a hard time starting but it will fire up without any thottle and barlyyyy run and stay running without giving it thottle. with the intake tube off you can really hear the intake sucking air threw the air passage (sucking pretty hard) and you can hear the suction change with the change in ideal which makes me think that the idle air controll motor is working. in addition, the throttle responce is sluggish and stalls for a second when you give it throttle and then it wll pick up the rpm's.
do you think it's the thottle position sensor or what do you think?

thanks,
John-Paul

Well today i got it runnning again and thought i let you guys know what it took to fix it incase you have the same problem.
I replaced the distributor because you can wiggle the rotor shaft around but that didn't fix anything. So, i figured out how to read the check engine codes off the dash because my scan gauge wouldn't work on the jeep. The code it gave said the coolant temp sensor was not working. I replaced it and it started right up! The reason it would not start or not run good with a bad coolant temp sensor is becasue the temp controlls the timing and fuel of the engine.

well i hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Thank you so much for posting the cure. I was wondering why my temp gauge stopped working at the time the idle problem started ?

Back