Tear on the soft top

NeHi

Ok, it was there when I bought it, but now with the idea of going topless soon, I want to make sure I don't foul up the whole top. I'll attach a few pics of the tear. I just want to know if there is anything that I can to limit the growth of the tear and if I can safely fold back the top or fold back the sunrider (since it is an unlimited). I will try anything to keep from having to buy another soft top...unless it keeps me from taking the top off.

Attachments

• tearpic1.jpg
    tearpic1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 729
  • tearpic2.jpg
    tearpic2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 517

You can try and hand sew it back together.The rip is kind of in bad location.Duct tape I dont think would help you with the way that is ripped.If you cant sew the hole thing I would at least put a few tight stitches at the top of the rip to try and prevent it from ripping any further.

An upholstery shop can Fix that with a patch on the inside and stitch around it.. The only thing i can see that you need to be carefull of is when you remove your soft top channel from the door surrounds..

ok, cool. I will get my seamstress of a wife a whack at it tomorrow... if there isn't too much snow. If it doesn't look like it will hold well enough, I will break down and go to the upholstery shop. I appreciate it guys.

Another tool we use to repair small tears/rips in motorhome awnings is...

31349-2.jpg

RV Awning Repair Tape
Clear tape makes fast, invisible repairs on awnings or other outdoor fabrics. Resists tearing in any direction.

----------------------------

I don't know if I'd consider it "permanent" but it certainly would hold you over for a while. The stuff is very durable if applied as the directions specify. Available at CampingWorld or other RV supply stores.

-Phil

I had a winch cable snap one time and the cable came back and tore my soft top. I used Ultra Blue and some duct tape to seal it.

Ultra blue is a flexable RTV type silicone.

Slab the ultra blue all over the tear and then used duct tape to hold it. couple days later I took off the tape and slabbed some more ultra blue on there on both sides for good mesure. Never leaked for 3 years. I finially scored a complete black bestop with full soft doors for $50 that was used for only one year!

when you get it stitched use a rubber tire patch with contact cement behind it , it will help strengthen it

If it were me, with the rip you have..........I would go with some kind of "combo" of the last 3 posts. I'm about as cheap as they come and I am all about "function" over "looks". My $.02.

I'm about as cheap as they come. My $.02.

First be happy that mud willing to throw you .02 cents...hi ya mud :D
Sorry couldn't resist!

Down at the fabric store you can get a yard of heavy sail cloth in black 3.99$. Using a safety pin to hold the rip close as you remove the top.
Then cut a square of material that gives you at least a 1/2 inch either side of the cut and enough to fold around the outer seam.
First cross stitch the rip with black heavy thread( most sewing machines don't like this heavy thread, I hand sew all of my repairs). Then using fabric glue place the patch on the backside and run a double stitch through both. Wrap the bottom and trim to fit the outer seam and hand stitch it.

I keep a small sewing box with thread and needle with a 6 x 6 of sail cloth in my tool box in the jeep for trail repairs. I found a Gorilla glue works the best for these type of repairs.

Hey, a little update... I risked taking off the top today and it wasn't a problem at all. I went slow and paid a lot of attention to that side so to not cause any more problems. I am going to patch it this week when I get a chance. Its inventory week so I don't know when I am going to do it. But, I'll post pics when its done.

Oh, and here is a pic of the soft top off...Man, I think I fell in love with my Jeep all over again

Attachments

• top down.jpg
    top down.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 554
Back