yj rear frame rust repair

black87yj

anyone replace the frame out back at the shackel mount ? my son bought a 93 yj and got a great deal cept 4 the rusty frame ! found patches on e-bay , but i want to replace both sides and the bumper mounting plate while i have the gas tank pot and all. any suggestions ???

I bought a 2 1/2 or 3 in. sq. tube (I forget), capped the ends and bought some two in. wide, 1/4 in. thick angle iron, made a "tube" to go around the frame rails, and that gets bolted in with three grade 8 bolts on each frame rail. The bottom angle iron can then be drilled to mount the hangers. I moved my shackles forward a bit to increase travel, too.

If it were me, I would cut it off just behind the transmission skid and rebuild it in 2x4 3/16 tubing. In reality, it will be way easier than trying to patch here and there and realizing that you missed a spot. Plus all the tubing will probably cost what Ebay will get you for "patches." Here is a friends CJ5, frame was pretty bad, but I think these photo's will give you an idea.
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

:shock: Wow, that makes my frame look like a beast.

Yeah, I didn't think about that. It depends on how bad it is rusted. My frame was only bad about an inch from the ends, so I cut that out and bolted up that bumper.

After giving it much thought, I replaced the whole frame on my 88 yj I was lucky to find a 95 that was like new and it was a great learning experiance, also the 95 was a rolling chassie so I've got extra parts now.

I have a 1994 Wranger Sahara that has a bad frame. I am thinking about a transfer.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13,333
wow nice fab work. i am going to cut out both sides and fab up the end pc also. its only bad about 12 inches on one side and 3 inches on the other. it'll give me a chance to beef up the bumper mounts this way. thanks for the tips on the fab work !

Back