94 wrangler door wont unlock

speedy454

im new here and tryin 2 figure out how this board works so if it takes me a lil bit 2 resond now ya no y n e way back to this bloody problem im having. I have a 94 jeep wrangler and i just put new door handels on both side both interior and exterior my passener works GREAT but when i went to unlock my drivers door (useing the lock unlock manual sitch) it wellll refused 2 unlock so i am now stuck goin in and out of my passnger door any ideas on if i broke something that i cant see or something i can do to at least allow me to use my drivers door?????

thanks in advance
Randy

Last edited:

Take the door panel back off and check the linkage. also make sure that the orientation of the lock cylinder to rod is correct. I'm not for sure if the rod ends on those are also adjustable, but check those as well. Test the fuctions before you re-install the door panel.

when i noticed that the door wouldnt unlock again i started looking through all of the different links and pices in there and none of it made sence to me i did notice that a little bity spring had come loose from somewhere hidden behind the mechanisim and well as for the panels i wont be able o put them back on lol hey where th cheap cardborad style but im not really worried about that lol but im open for any other advice my buddy said that i might have the "pain in the azz" locks something about a pin that slides in and out of where the clamps are that could be not goin all the way back into its normal positin could that be something 2 look at as well or should i drop the money for a locksmith 2 look
Thanks for the reply

Disconnect the linkages to the latch assembly exept the rod linkage for the lock and unlock. See if it functions normal. If not, disconnect the lock and unlock linkage then try to lock and unlock with your fingers on the latch mechanism lever. If it's still not working, the problem is the latch mechanism.

i was hopeing that it wouldnt be that becasu if it doesnt unlock so i can open the door how would i go about getting all of that off w/ the door still shut and well locked i though about tryin to take that whole assembly out all together but couldnt s how 2 take it off w/ out haveing the door opn to get that pice off

If you already got the panel off, just follow the lock/ unlock linkage to the latch assembly and give a little help with your fingers to unlock while the other hand is pulling on the handle to open the door.

ill have 2 give that a try by the time i was done fiddeling w/ it last i was uptight and well ****ed so i quit workin on it round 2 am lol thank you soo much for ur help i really think this site is gonna hlp me out alot

well tried that and still door doesnt unlock or open :x for that matter how do i go about takeing all that out w/ out being able to open my door?

If there is a way to unbolt the striker to the body and the hinges. That's the only solution i can come up with right now without destroying your door.

well i hope i dont have 2 destroy my door i dont have extras lol do u no how much it would be 2 replace that pice of i was 2 have 2 buy a new or used one ?

A dealer will be able to give you an idea how much they are and if it's still available.

steel ty so very much for your help just 2 let you no i finally got the door 2 unlock i took off the striker and then fiddeled more i think that the presure was 2 tight for the messed up lock unlock function just wasnt right after the presure was relased for the clamps i fiddeled w/ the lock unloch part again and head a lil tick nois and i pulled trigger and poof it opend again ty so much for all ure help

Randy

Back