Oil Additives

Jeeper99

Ok guys, it's time for me to change the oil and the old girl sounds moreless like a little diesel. :rolleyes: I've got 160,000 on the clock. I've read where some of you guys say to replace a bottle of oil with auto transmission fluid to help with the internals or would I be better off just adding a bottle of Lucas oil treatment? Also, with the Transmission fluid, would you just leave it in until the next oil change or is there a certain amount of time to run it, then change the oil again? Any info would be greatly apprecaited. I'm hoping to run this motor til it won't run anymore. :cry:

Some consider adding a detergent type of ATF is ok, I disagree here because it lowers the viscosity level and there have been some write ups on foaming issues. Your better off running the Lucas oil treatment. Its a 100% petroleum product, that clings to moving surfaces better than I ever seen. I use it in my jeep ever since I bought it.

I agree with Utah. STP is also acceptable but Lucas is better. ATF fluids also can damage seals that are not designed for it. As for the transmission, stay with the service requirements on the owners manual. If you think that your driving habits are a little bit harder than normal off roads, then service it sooner than the recommended scheduled maintenance.

I have for years used Restore with all my oil changes. I couldn't tell you how many miles are on my jeep, my DD has 180K+ and runs like a top.

What is it that makes the clattering sound that Jeeper99 is talking about. Is it loose valves?

What is it that makes the clattering sound that Jeeper99 is talking about. Is it loose valves?

Most often caused by worn and weak lifters. Sometimes described as a "Sewing machine" noise. Weak springs , Exessive carbon build up around the valves will also cause a valvetrain noise.

Now slipping into a full synthetic and running a heavier 10-30 will help quiet her down some, but if your facing a weak spring issue, your just masking the problem and should look at going through the top end checking the valve springs on a resistance tester.

I was wondering if it could be lifters or springs making the noise, but I'm thinking it could just be the wear in the cylinder walls with the milage. The reason I wonder about this is once the Jeep is warmed up for a while, it quitens down, i.e, piston's,rings expanding and taking out the slop :???:

Any ideas on ballpark price having the top end checked for worn springs or any other problems? I'm not sure about going through and checking that issue on my own.

I was wondering if it could be lifters or springs making the noise, but I'm thinking it could just be the wear in the cylinder walls with the milage. The reason I wonder about this is once the Jeep is warmed up for a while, it quitens down, i.e, piston's,rings expanding and taking out the slop :???:

Any ideas on ballpark price having the top end checked for worn springs or any other problems? I'm not sure about going through and checking that issue on my own.

The piston thoery is possible, however , the oil rings in the piston cannot hold all the pressure from the cylinder with out the compression rings help. With this, you will more likely be using up some oil, burning in the combustion side of the piston. If i were you and your ready for your engine to get a rebuild, i'd pull the whole engine out, strip it down to just the long block and take it a machine shop for a rebuild.

The piston thoery is possible, however , the oil rings in the piston cannot hold all the pressure from the cylinder with out the compression rings help. With this, you will more likely be using up some oil, burning in the combustion side of the piston. If i were you and your ready for your engine to get a rebuild, i'd pull the whole engine out, strip it down to just the long block and take it a machine shop for a rebuild.

It doesn't burn oil or smoke at all. If worse comes to worse. I still have the 4.0 out of our 97 grand cherokee still sitting in the garage and I could transplant it in while I have the other built.

Marvels Mystery Oil. Will lubricate piston rings and cylinder wall, plus free up any rust or sludge deposits. Oldie, but goodie. Worth a try!

I swear by the Restore additive also. My Ford Ranger has 350,000 miles on it and gets a can of Restore at every oil change.

I use the Marvel mystery oil trick on my 64 tbird with a 390 after sitting for awhile. Warm up the engine, use an eyedrop thinga majiggy and drop 10 drops of mystery oil and 10 drops of water in the carburator and walla! clean valves.

I use the Marvel mystery oil trick on my 64 tbird with a 390 after sitting for awhile. Warm up the engine, use an eyedrop thinga majiggy and drop 10 drops of mystery oil and 10 drops of water in the carburator and walla! clean valves.

Sounds Simple Enough! I will give that a shot. Anything to help clean the valves, I'm all for it. Where would I find some of that marvel Mystery oil to try? I've never heard of it.

I've never done this on a fuel injected vehicle due to the sensor issues that may throw DTCs. I only do this on carburated engines.

Back