How much of a lift will I need?

BlackStick

BACKGROUND: I am thinking about buying a 1976 CJ7 because I think it is the best looking jeep around. Plus, they can be turned into some pretty hard core wheelers. This one seems to be in pretty good condition with a rebuilt AMC 304 (16,000 miles) and a lot of other fairly new, but not upgrade parts. The guy wants $6,000 for it I'm offering $5,200, but he wants to wait a week and see if he can get more for it.

QUESTION: The suspension is currently stock, and I want to slap some 36X15.5R20LT Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial SLT tires on it. They look great and will be the best tire for my applications (Heavy daily driving and mild to moderate trail riding and mudding on the weekends). How much of a lift will I need at a minimum? Who makes the best lift (price does not matter)? I want to be able to get decent articulation, but feel comfortable making turns on the streets. I rolled my last jeep over because I did a four wheel drift right off a freeway entrance ramp (Pictures are posted in the reader rides YJ section). I do not plan to abuse this classic like my junky YJ, but I'd like it to perform reasonably well on the street. In addition to the suspension lift, I am planning to install some aftermarket shocks. I thought that the Bilstein 9100 series would be great, but if you guys think something else would work better, I'm open to hearing it. I look forward to hearing your recommendations.

Thats a nice looking Jeep. I am by no means an expert on this but i'll give it a shot . No more than 1 inch of body lift and a 3.5 inch suspension lift should get you by with the 36" tires. but if your going to do some hardcore wheeling with it, that might not be enough due to rubbing. Your also going to need to get a set of offset wheels and possibly wheel spacers to give you a wider stance and clearance for the front tires from the leaf springs. Quick disco's are also a good add on for articulation. Bilstein, Edelbrock and Old man Emu are good shocks but pricey. Another thing to consider is a SOA for the amount of clearance from the big tires.

Thanks, I will probably go with something around 5" total lift. I've never used body lifts before, so it will be a new adventure.

I have a 86 CJ7 (now in pieces) But you will need a 4" lift and a 2" body to run 36's or cut the steelmetal or flatfenders. Do not pay to much you can
get a 97 TJ for $5,200. or a YJ.Unless it has a T-18 4 speed.
check to see what gears before you buy it.

I'm fairly new to jeeps and working on cars in general. I've changed the oil a few times and can do the basic maintenance. I know where most of the components are and what they do, but I have never actually worked on them, however, I would like to start working on my own vehicle more extensively just because I want to. So, I need to know how to check the gears. Please explain. I am planning to use the Gen Right cut away fenders to give me increased clearance and make the jeep look more hard core.

Also, I would like to know if there is a way to lift the jeep without using leaf springs and if so, what is it. I think that leaf springs are old tech and that in 2009, I should be able to put better gear on my rig. What do you recommend?

Last edited:
with some rear fender trimming, you can fit a 36" tall tire with a 4" lift. anything over that is pure excess and will add to you being top heavy.

Do you really think I can get maximum articulation of my suspension with only a four in lift? I don't want the tires rubbing. ???

Back