Transfer Case issues (Dana 20)

snjfisk

I have a 1979 cj7 with a 304/dana 20 TC/ 3 speed trany (T150). I cant get the linkage to shift the driverside "shifter piston" into 4 wheel drive on the transfer case. I know this is the one that shifts the front axle into 4wheel. I can manually shift it forward which is I assume 4high for the front axle with a crow bar. Doesnt take allot of force. My question is two part. Is it a simple linkage issue or worse? How many positions is it supposed to move too? The "shifter piston" on the drivers side of the transfer case I know has four positions 4L-N-2H-4H. Thanks

Full towards the dash is 4H, one pull back is 2H, then neutral, and 4L all the way back. (This is the CJ pattern; the Jeep pickup trucks are different.) You could just have sticky linkage from mud and such. Pull the cover off at the floor board and take a look. You shouldn't need to use a crowbar but sometimes it takes a little back & forth to get everything to mesh. If you have a lunchbox locker this could be causing some binding.

trying to attach a photo, hope it worked. cant see any mud in way. seems to be a linkage issue and dont see way to adjust. worried it could be problem w transfer case.

Attachments

• IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7,147
I guess no one is interested. My issue is the linkage on the left wont move, the one on the right does(i know it controls the rear axle) In the photo i forced the linkage on the left forward which is 4w high(front axle). And it works when I drive it. You can see by the clean metal exposed. it will shift easily back to neutral but not any further back then that. And my next question is isnt it supposed to move back to get to 4x4 low (for the front axle)?
help

I'm not that familiar with the Dana 20 t.case but it doesn't look too much different on the shift rods compared to my dana 300. If the shift forks move manually without using the shifter, then i would assume that the t.case is sound. I would look into the linkages on the shifter and see if there's too much play especially with the linkage on the left . On my Dana 300, i had an issue shifting to 4 low. It ended up to be a worn shifter pivot shaft.

thanks for your reply. I am leaning that way. my only question is; how many places is the shift rod on the left (front axle) supposed to shift to,because I can only get it to move into two positions (which I assume is 4x4 high and neutral for the front axle off-course) I am concerned it is supposed shift toward the rear past neutral to a 4x4 low???. the shift rod on the right moves into all four positions with no problem.
thanks

I think there's 3 detent grooves on each one of the shift rods attached to the shift forks. Positioning both at the middle should give you a neutral on both front and rear. Positioning either one of them all the way in or out will give you either front or rear engament in low or hi. jack up the front and rear and slowly turn the driveline as you shift the t.case.

I sorta did that by getting them both all the way forward and the front drive axle spun when wife pulled forward while I watched the front axle( wont spin when jeep is only in 2 H) so I know that 4x4High works (thats w me forcing that shift rod forward) it wont however go back past neutral to 4x4 low (only the driver side shift rod will). I cant force that shift rod back so am thinking this might be a busted transfer case???

It's possible. If it's got a pan under the T.case like the dana 300, you can pull that off and do a quick inspection and assesment of the shift forks and gears. That would be my best advise at this point.

I am new here and just chiming in. Just curious to know if you found the problem that was going on with your t-case. If you need new parts for your shifter like the linkage, bushings, and bellcrank please let me know, I can help.

Back