is it worth it?

JeepsterCJ5

Complete Front and Rear Dana 44 axles from 1979 Grand Waganeer ($500.00 obo), AMC 360 ($300.00 obo) 727 transmission ($250.00) Dana 300 T-Case with twin Stick ($400.00obo)

Can I put those axles under my 78 CJ5?

Yes and no but they will stick way out. A lot of work to make fit.
Look for axles out of a late 86 CJ7 wide track Dana 30 front (or find a front Scout Dana 44 still needs alot of work) And or look for a Factory
Jeep 86 Dana 44 rear (or get a Scout Dana 44 rear you will need to weld
on new spring mounts. look for a 76-79 Jeep T-18 and model 20 combo
the T18 has a 6:38 to 1 first gear. great for wheelin.

You can put them under your 5 but I think you'll have to outboard the spring hangers on the frame if you install anything wider that what you have now.

That front axle should be about 60"ish wide between wheel mounting surfaces. You'd definately have to outboard front spring hangers on the frame in order to run the axle full width. However, I think if you narrow the long side about 4" (it's been a while since I researched), you can reweld the driver's side perch and bolt it in without outboarding.. again, I'm not positive.
If you were able to narrow the axle to around 56" wide and run it, you could then seek out a 58" Scout rear. Add a 1" spacer to the front axle to even them out (or not) and it would'nt be obnoxiously wide. I run a pair of 58" wide D44s under my CJ5 and like the added stability off camber.

Double check to make sure the rear is a centered D44. I'm not sure which Waggies had centered rear axles or offset (Qtrac) rear axles. Also, some Waggies had a M20 rear axle.. although the Waggie used factory 1 piece shafts. Again, I'm not sure which years.. just some info to look into.

A good running AMC 360 for $300 is a pretty good deal.

A $400 D300 is on the expensive side.. $200 is more like it. Maybe $250 with a twin stick.

A 727 in a CJ can cause fitment issues with the front driveshaft. If you run it with a D300, you'll need at least 4" of lift to have the front shaft clear the transmission. Not sure if clocking the Tcase helps or not.

Back