Complete lock and keys for my wrangler.

Digitaljeep

Hi all,

After alot of searching it seems I have lost the only key I had for my wrangler... what are my options considering I am in no position to nip down the local jeep dealer.

I was thinking about replacing every lock on the jeep but i have not found any web sites that offer a complete lock set with keys for a 2000 wrangler.

Any ideas at all are welcome.

Thanks

DJ

Last edited:

What about the ignition or am I not understanding the question clearly?

The key I had unlocked all doors and started the jeep.

The factory keys are de-coded by means of the vin number from your Jeep. You can probbably acquire this key code from a local dealer but not necessarily have them cut the key for you. Talk to your local dealer parts dept. and tell them that you need the key code for your Jeep so a locksmith can cut a key for you. They will probbably ask you for a proof of ownership or a registration paper to prove that you are authorized to operate that vehicle. If you decide to replace the key tumblers on the doors and ignition, it would probbably cost you more than what it would have cost to just have a key cut from a dealer. If your key had a black plastic base, it shouldn't cost you more than 20-30 dollars to buy and get the key cut from a dealer.

The factory keys are de-coded by means of the vin number from your Jeep. You can probbably acquire this key code from a local dealer but not necessarily have them cut the key for you. Talk to your local dealer parts dept. and tell them that you need the key code for your Jeep so a locksmith can cut a key for you. They will probbably ask you for a proof of ownership or a registration paper to prove that you are authorized to operate that vehicle. If you decide to replace the key tumblers on the doors and ignition, it would probbably cost you more than what it would have cost to just have a key cut from a dealer. If your key had a black plastic base, it shouldn't cost you more than 20-30 dollars to buy and get the key cut from a dealer.

Thanks for the info. Would any locksmith be able to cut the key from the key code? I ask because I am living in the west indies and I dont think the lock smith here has any fancy equiptment.

I will have to call the jeep dealer in the uk and try to find out the key code.

Thanks

Your in the U.K.?:shock:. Any professional locksmith can cut a key from the keycode. oops, i meant west indies?

Your in the U.K.?:shock:. Any professional locksmith can cut a key from the keycode. oops, i meant west indies?

No dont live in the uk, I bought the jeep there and shipped it out here. I doubt the locksmith here could be classed as professional but its worth a shot.

A good locksmith should be able to make a key for you on the spot using a file and a key blank. My brother had this done to an old Chevy. It took about 20 minutes of wiggling, studying, and filing. And, yes - we had to prove it was our car. When you get a new key a spare tied under the Jeep somewhere hidden might be helpful;) Best of luck - John

Back