NOn Jeep Tech Question?

Tug-n-pull

Son found a 1985 4wd Ford Ranger that he can afford. Body ok paint sucks runs good on a 20,000 mile old rebuilt 4 banger 5 speed with manual hubs! all I know about the truck at this time. You know how it is when a 17 year old makes up his mind so i will support this effort as much as I can it's his money.

Question what is it going to take to get it up in the air a bit and put some Meat under it? Has anyone here ever had experence with Ford Rangers? I have 135 thousand on my ol 2wd ranger same age. It is tough and takes a beating as my ol work truck. Do they preform at all off road? Thanks in advance for considering the non Jeep request. I told him I would ask! Thanks Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

My son had a 2wd and it go treated like a 4x4. You are right they can take a beating!!! If the 4x4's are anything like the 2wd man that'll be a tough truck!! No answer though just running my mouth.[addsig]

I had a 89 2wd 2.8l xlt ,sold it to my dad-with 70k- he gave it to my brother with 110k. My brothers not all that bright when it comes to taking care of "free stuff" he finally killed it in 2000 with 227k on it tough truck all right.[addsig]

I used to drive my moms 84 Ranger 2wd with the 2.8 v6. Don't know anyting about lifting them but I can tell you they are tough trucks. I always said its a 2wd that thinks its a 4x4 for all the hell I put it through. used to run some cheapy AT's on it. It never let me down from off raoding it to driving through 9 inches of snow one year. That truck now has 246,000 original miles.....well everything but the trans... it was just rebuilt about 8,000 miles ago but the engine is still running strong.[addsig]

I've done some work on a couple rangers in the past couple weeks... one 2wd.. and one 4wd.... it has independent front suspension. It does not seem like something you want to mess with.. you will have to get new front members or you will have NASTY camber. Each wheel is hung from a long arm which pivots from the opposite side of the vehicle. The front axle shafts run in through each arm. It is a tough truck... but the 4x4 system doesn't seem so tough, especially if you intend on making the front shafts flex further... If you get it... the easiest way to get meat under it would be a body lift[addsig]

my dad had a 4wd, and my g/f has a 2wd. he never really let me take it off road, but it was a sweet little truck as a daily driver, and a buddy of mine has am '84 4wd thats falling apart, but runs and drives non the less. i tihnk they're great little trucks

Reggie[addsig]

I am not so sure about the lift and such, but I can attest to the fact that there are one tough little truck. I had a 92 2WD with the 4 banger/ 5 speed in it. I drove that truck like I stole it and it never complained. I would agree with Snitty though, with the suspension set-up like it is, it would take some work to get it up in the air. Best and easiest bet would be a body lift if you want to stuff some meat under there...[addsig]

My father had a truck just like that one, same year and all, we had normal size tires on it and it would walk around chevys and everything else that was stuck. Sweet little truck for playing and working in. [addsig]

I've had a couple of 2wd Rangers and all the rear needs is blocks for lifting because it is a spring over axle. The front is a twin I beam and there are three ways to raise: small lift - new springs

med lift - spindles

big lift - new I beams

Good Luck
image-missing.png
[addsig]

call your local 4x4 shop there is a bolt on lift avalable for those trucks ( newer model year, so one should be around for an 85) ...i think you can gain five inches of lift...also you can buy a fiberglass fender kit to make it look like a truggy.... i have seen this done... looks rockin... put some 35" mt's or dick cepek's.. header, flo master exhaust and you would have a kick ass 4wd prerunner... i'm sorry i cant remember who manufacters the lift but it is avalable...[addsig]

tug,

i had a 89 xlt with the 4 banger standard cab when i got i was pretty ugly what solved that was my first custom camo paint job, as for 4x4 question the only part i had a prob with was the self locking hubs they had to be replaced at least evey 2 years but it was nick named the swamp buggy all i did for a lift was block the rear and but a coil spring spacer in the front i think the 3 inch lift i had cost around 200.00 i ran 33x12.50 tsl swampers on it the truck was good for the most part except the hubs i am not sure what type of hubs you have but i would highly recomend replacing to manual if it doesnt already have

marc[addsig]

Back