Steel or Fiberglass Tub??

Keith__C

Hello again everyone :) I am trying to decide what kind of jeep tub to go with for my 79-CJ7 The factory tub is in OK shape with some minor rusting (this IS an Az Jeep. After hunting down the rust it does not appear to be too bad, the floorboards where your feet would go have rusted through and there are a couple of small rust holes by the wheelwells. Considering this is the factory tub made in 1978 with non-galvanized steel I think its in damn good shape overall. However I also have a 4WD hardware Fiberglass tub that is 100% rust free and uses steel bracing for strength. I am starting to lean towards the fiberglass, mainly because I dont feel like cutting and welding in new steel however since the majority of wheeling here is rocks I'm debating on how well the fiberglass will hold up, cutting and welding in new steel is easier in the long rung than patching fiberglass over and over again. How well do the fiberglass tubs really hold up? Thanks

If your plating on rocks steel..if it is street only fiberglass..If you really want fiber for the woods make an exoskeleton roll cage to protect your fragile fiberglass.

I had a 76 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body. The frame broke through the body at the rear driver side mount point. I would not get another fiberglass body. Do they still make Kevlar bodies? I always thought that would be neat.

I have had a fiberglass cj5 one thing to consider is you will need to run ground wires for all your electric tights etc. Now wether that is just to the chassis or all the way back to a ground bus is up to you.
I live in the rust belt so mild steel after market bodies don't last very long, I would try to find a stainless or aluminum body. Since the original poster is in AZ then who cares about rust.

I am looking to overhall a 83CJ7. I am leaning towards fiberglass (so beach work, but mainly on road). Some of the fiberglass tubs come with gel coat. Is it worth the $1000 extra?

If you want the added protection of gel coating, it could be worth it. It's supposed to be tougher than paint, but fiberglass isn't all that tough in general. I don't think you need it, but it's up to you.

I recently found a nicely built CJ7 w/ amc 360. It had everything I wanted, and at a fair price, but steered away from it because it was glass. Lets face it, no matter how pretty your jeep is, it will go on a trail eventually, and trees and rocks are unforgiving! Replacement parts,iirc, are priced about the same, so why not have the tougher of the two? Steel.

Again, steel. Economics forced me to choose between the two in my barn. The steel one is being built. The front clip from the fiberglass CJ is soon to become a youth bed, should be sturdy enough for that!! :p
The tub on this CJ is growing weak, and I can see how issues like, body mounts busting through, could be a problem in the future.
Plus....they dont come with tailgates, do they?

It looks like the steel kit will run about $4500 including shipping. What is the labor time to install on of these animals? I would guess the tear down would be as fun as the build up, but if I do it myself on weekends I figure it will take a few months to finish. I also heard that a steel installation requires a couple of people and a decent winch system.

It only took 4 people to lift my steel body off its chassis. Once the windshield, fenders, and hood are off, not that heavy.

OK, I'm going to go with steel. I will attempt it myself, and bypass the body shop. I assume I need a body mount kit, glass for the windshield, lights and such. Anything big I should consider while I have the body off?

I would check the frame and look for rust on it. I would coat it, and while your down there, you could try and coat the inside of the frame as well.. just my thought. And good idea to go with the steel.

It would be the perfect time to look into your brake lines, fuel lines and wirings that are not usually exposed. I wish i would have thought of changing out my fuel lines to stainless and re-routed them away from the exaust area while i had the body off mine. It was a PITA to do with the body on the frame.

Back