Restoring my CJ7

1983CJ7

I am new as a Jeep owner - I have wanted one ever since my first Armed Forces day ride back in the day. Anyway, I have a CJ7 in need of lots of work, so where to start? What's the best way to get going on this without the CJ7 sitting in pieces for years in my garage? I am scouring the internet for parts suppliers, but what about service. I have some basic skills, but I would not likely be rebuilding the engine or transmission.

Any advice is welcome. I am thinking of starting with the tub rebuild first, if the engine and transmission pass inspection this week.

I would start with the basic driveability issues first. get it running the way you want it then work on the asthetics little by little. If your going to get someone to rebuild your trans and engine, make sure they are a reputable shop that wont rip you off. Get a warranty on their work and make sure it's in paper. For parts and accesories, there's 4WD hardware , Quadratech and Crown automotive just to name a few.

Welcome to the CJ brethren and the board.

First, give us the details on your CJ; stock, lift, etc.? Pictures are always nice. Second, what will you be using your jeep for, original restoration, mud, rocks, sand, driving around town, all of the above?

I think making a plan that follows what you want to do with the jeep is best; divide the goal into projects per the critical path (ie: the hip bone is connected to the thigh bone) so you don't have to redo anything as you go. Once you have identified what projects and in which order start collecting any parts you might need before you disassemble your jeep, that way it won't sit in the garage waiting for that part you can't find right now but know eventually you will or the one that the piggy bank doesn’t have the funds for.

Jeeps are a labor of love and not for an investment. One of the best ways to keep you jeep together is to use it. If you use it and enjoy using it then the work it needs is part of the fun and not a chore and doing an upgrade will hold the enjoyment of the job being done to improve your jeep. Maybe look into a club in your area if you don't already have friends to wheel with.

I have attached some photos - quality isn't great but I will take more when it arrives.

I expect that rust over the wheel wells is deep, and overall body has some bubbles. The Engine (258) was replaced 30K miles ago, brakes recently redone, as was the rear axle bearings.

The frame has some rusting at the very ends after the last mounts. Windshield is cracked. Fender flares cracked. Front driver's fender is bent down. Front passenger's fender has a dent in it. One of the headlights is out. No power steering or power brakes.

I have an excellent and reliable mechanic to assist me with any engine, transmission, electrical, brakes , ... misc work. The body would likely go to a bodyshop - I hear a full tub replacement runs about 75 hours, so that can get pricey.

Attachments

• left front.jpg
    left front.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 877
  • rear left.jpg
    rear left.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 786
  • rear right.jpg
    rear right.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 894
  • right front.jpg
    right front.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 858

Well it does look like it needs some work but there is no time the present to start learning how to do it yourself. Tub replacement isn't so bad; you need a helper to move to tubs on & off the frame.

So, what first on your list?

My plan is still rough, but here's what I am thinking:
I'll take it in for a complete physical, and get a list of the mechanical issues, and any major concerns.

I'll run it over to the local bodyshop and chat about possible body repair options, and timing.

I'll likely start driving it a bit to get a feel of any other issues, and then start on the simple things:
Va State Inspection will catch the basics on lighting, tires, brakes ...
then the basic oil, lube and transmission flush
pack bearings and any chasis lube
replace gauges/wiring to get the instruments working

I may continue to the seats myself, just to get warmed up and install a basic radio

Then I will move on to the larger mechaincal items, if needed. I hope to get a schedule of mechanical repais through the spring/early summer, and knock those out so I can then focus on the body.

I am not certain if I should attempt the body work, so opinions are welcome.

I will likely save any needed glass work and top/seals for last.

Welcome to the wonderful world of classic CJ's I hope you have greater sucess than I've had with finding a reputable shop. Ultimately I find myself my own best mechanic in these parts~dammit. 70 hour work week leaves little time.

Body issues, interior issues, windshield and doors need repalcement or repair. Electrical shorts, and numerous bulbs are out.

Rusted thru floors have weakened the side supports and seat belt mounts.

Needs ball points, clutch linkage and new exhaust.

If the body is really bad and the floor is rusted through so much that you can't weld in a new floor pan or two you might just want to start with a fresh tub and work from there. I know a new tub isn't cheap but it would be a lot less work, you'd curse less and you'd be so much further ahead to where you could start working on the wiring and lighting issues and get it on the road sooner.;) Good luck and give us updates as your project progresses.

I am pricing the steel tub kits (fender to tail gate). Looks like about $4500 including shipping. Should I get a bodyshop to install it and then allow me countless hours to get it road worthy? I wonder if I got what it takes.

Depends on how bad you really want to be seen driving a gorgeous CJ-7. That little CJ is worth the TLC. You can do it. Hang in there. There's a LOT of really nice CJs on this website with plenty of knowledgeable owners willing to help you out. 8)

OK, I've been convinced that a steel tub (kit) is the way to go. Aside from the body mount kit, what should I be picking up. I assume I can reuse the existing lens/lights, top, seats (maybe). Is now the time to replace all gauges, wiring, selt belts, grab bars, doors, carpet, knob boots, ... or do I do it piecemeal?

As I think about it, it is much more than a body swap, isn't it? Can you recommend some reading on this?

Should I get a bodyshop to install it......

When Chrysler purchased Jeep from AMC, Chrysler started dumping everything they could so these guys bought (for cheap) all of the original drawings from Chrysler for the pre 1987 Jeeps; they can build the tub to properly fit. There're talking a 45 minute install.

In fact Chrysler took a mountain of "new in the box" OEM parts to the land fill so they could get a tax credit for the value of the parts they dumped rather than sell them. Should have been a crime not a tax credit! (but that’s another soap box)

You might give them a look.

http://www.willysoverland.com/index.php/WO/replitub/

OK, I've been convinced that a steel tub (kit) is the way to go. Aside from the body mount kit, what should I be picking up.
If your CJ was like mine when I started, you will want to get a replacement wire harness. Most previous owners have not been so nice to the wiring to most Jeeps. It saved me a lot of nightmares by getting a new one from Painless through Quadratec.

As far as being able to do it yourself, there is no better satisfaction to say "Yep I built that". If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself you can always ask for help for a local Jeep enthusiast, we are always willgs to help a newbie.

Good Luck
Pertneer

Back