my new jeep( looking for a few simple answers)

cbanks

I just got a used 05 wrangler with about 27,000 miles , I love and just got it 4 days ago,I have been taking it offroad everyday and want to make sure it will be ok, anything I should look out for? I am being careful not to to bottom out. everything is completely stock.Thanks for any help. Also I am so confused on the CJ and YJ, mine is a v6 inline 6speed rocky mountain edition.Please let me know anything that will help me out I love this thing and dont want to mess it up

Not trying to sound like a smartass but don't say "v6 inline" around your jeep buddys =) And your is a TJ

haha sorry man, no jeep buddies yet.a friend had one for awhile and let me drive it and i fell in love... also i know nothing about cars and want to use this to get to know.....what should i be saying?

Haha ok, and its an Inline 6 or I6, a V6 has 3 spark plugs on each side inline's have them in a row

ok thank you, please any more information would be great.I love this thing and am planning on having it for a long time just graduated college and would love to do some upgrades.

The biggest difference with your TJ versus the YJ and CJ is the suspension.The TJ has coil springs versus leaf springs.The advantage of coil springs is a nicer ride and more articulation.The down side is it cost more to modify.As far as taking it off road the biggest thing to watch for is the angle of steep hills so you dont roll over.Even being stock there is not much the jeep can't handle as long as you have the clearance to get over it.A quick easy upgrade if it is not done yet is a little bigger tire like a 31".That will fit with the stock suspension and give you some more clearance.Only problem I have ran into latley his the hill I climb is steep and the exaust tip is turned down from the factory got bent from rubbing.So once I redo my exhaust it will be turned out side ways or straight back.

Put it on 4wd when you go wheeling in a rough trail. Don't wait to to switch it to 4wd until you get stuck or your jeep will stay stuck.

Put it on 4wd when you go wheeling in a rough trail. Don't wait to to switch it to 4wd until you get stuck or your jeep will stay stuck.

X2; as soon as you leave the pavement, 4H is good; before a tough obstacle, you may want to consider 4L (not if it is mud, though, as you will need the higher wheel spin speed to clean thetires).

Yep, sometimes it only takes one Jeep ride and you're hooked for life. You have picked a good drivetrain combo. So far the 6 SPD has served me well (we'll see how long it lasts;)). The 4.0 straight 6 is one of the best "modern" engines out there (well, OK... It's NOT modern but that's why they are so good). Change your oil regularly and it'll last a long time. Watch the rear end - you probably have a Dana 35. This is the weak link in your driveline. If you push it too hard in the tough spots you could break one of the "fuseible" axle shafts (especially if you go with larger tires). Spinning tires where they can suddenly grab is bad for it. Quick upgrades would include rock bumpers, coil spacers (no more than 2 inch) and/or body lift (no more than 1 inch), 31 inch tires, bikini top, relocate mirrors (so you can go doorless). Read through this forum - there's a lot of good info here on installing upgrades. The guys here are great and will try to answer any questions. Enjoy your Jeep - John

Yep, sometimes it only takes one Jeep ride and you're hooked for life. John

A buddy of mine showed up on my doorstep one day with a brand new 1972 CJ5, AMC 304, orange, no roll bar & a Whitco top. We were just out of high school, foot loose and fancy free; headed for the woods and didn't come back to town for three days. I bought my first jeep a week later and since then I have owned a CJ2A, three CJ5s, five YJs, and two TJs. If that ain't bit for life I don't know what is.

I drove that new shiny piece of machinery, AMC 304, sky blue, after market roll bar, and white Whitco top (yes they use to make a white top), up to my girlfriends parents house and her dad asked me how I ever expected to get a girl to go out with me in that thing. Well I married the girl and in fact many of the jeeps I have owned she is the one that found them. Gota love it!

Last edited:

thank you very much for your help, I have been takin it out a lot, being careful not to bottom out. got stuck a few times in mud and havent really had to used 4L. i am going to read through and try to figure out what all I should be doing. I took it on some wide quad trails but since it is new I didnt want to scratch it up. but it handled everything well. I get worried because sometimes in 1st and 2nd its jerking but i am assumign thats because i havent completely got used to the clutch yet. Thanks for the help and anything else is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Back