4.0 TJ won't turn over after sitting for 10 minutes

miltownTJ

Hey all

An interesting situation has arisen with my TJ. I was driving it all day with no problems then turned it off for 10 minutes with the hazards on. I loaded up the back with stuff, disconnected my subwoofer box, hopped in and turned the key to find nothing happen. NO turn over, nothing, but the exterior and interior light s and radio work. I checked the battery terminals and cleaned them off. I checked the battery with a multimeter. I bypassed the relay for my starter right to the battery to see if it would spin and it did. I dont think it is the alternator as nothing seemed to dim or slowly die. Visually (also w/ multimeter) checked all the fuses. Also I have never had a burnt out headlight but I noticed after this problem arose that one was in fact out...dont know if its related.

Thanks in advance
Josh

I am by no means any type of expert but it sounds to me like your starter solenoid is what your problem is, does it make any type of clicking noise when you try to start it? if it doesn't and all your other electrical stuff is working, and you already jumped to the starter and it spun... then your problem is probably the starter solenoid. First check to make sure all your connections are good/clean in the starter system

Auto or manual transmission? If the clutch isn't pushed in on the manual the starter won't turn and if the auto isn't all the way in park the same. Maybe the switch/sensor that controls that is bad.

Check fuse # 6 on the PDC and make sure it's properly seated. Swap the relay from another component and see if that makes a difference. If not, disconnect the clutch pedal switch and jump the terminals across. do NOT ground these terminals. The burnt headlamp is not relevant to the starting issue, just a coincidence.

Yeah there is a way to test the solenoid in the starter. Just take it off and take it to your local auto parts store and they will test it free of charge. Good luck.

Back