How much rear fender trimming is too much?

Boze

I am tired of my tub taking big chunks out of my almost brand new tires. More importantly, I'm affraid that if i don't open my wheel well up some more, I'm eventually going to slice right through said tires and completly destroy them, (in the back at least). So my question is, how far back can I cut? I have a set of TJ flares, but after scribing the cut line for them, I just don't think it will be enough clearance. I couldn't care less about running flares, I like it better without to be honest, but I'm not sure what Johnny Law would say. If I do cut back into the "bulkhead" at the rear of my fender well, will that compromise the integrity of the tub? I've seen it done on Jeeps driving down the road and in mags, but I have never looked up close one. I need to keep the back seat, so boat tailing is out of the question...what should I do? Thaks guys.

no such thing. Trim teh front as far foward as you can with out getting into the body, then line up some tj flares and it will show you where to trim. you can further go back as much as you want. I think I took about 3/4 inch out of the front (got into the wheel well a little) and I wook at least two inches ou tof the rear, of not more.

Back