Pushing 33x12.5x15 with out changing gears

Dittrich31

Hello my name is Pete and I am relatively new to the jeep scene. I have a 2.5l 95 rio grande with 2inch leafs and two 1 inch shackles. Right now im running 31x10.5x15 bfg AT's and would like to move up to the 33's. Is there anything else I could do to push these tires besides doing an expensive gear change.

my brother in law did that to his jeep long time ago, didnt break any parts, but it was defenatly noticeable on the hwy, couldnt use 5th gear anymore, but 4x4ed good

Your gears should be ok it is the engine that will have the problem.From some of the other post you should have 4:11 gears but the 2.5l is going to have some issues with the tires.

it will bog down only really on the hwy, when offroading you'd ahve to use 4 low, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are all your gonna get, ya, all 4 cylinders come with 4.10s, 4.11s

too much wheel speed with sudden traction, can say goodbye to the axels in the dana 30, but just take it easy and it will work

Welcome to the Z. There are engine mods you can do to the 4banger, but none will be near as effective as regearing the axles. Consider an electric fan to replace the mechanical, a cold-air intake system, and a 62mm throttle body.

a, all 4 cylinders come with 4.10s, 4.11s
Only if it's a 5spd, the 2.5L auto has 3.73 gears.

Although it is doable, i would not advise it; on the highway, 5th gear will be none existing, and taking of from a complete stop will take forever to get moving to a decent speed... I would regear to 4.88 to do it (I am currently running 31's with 4.88 gears)

Learn to shift a lot ! Forget 5th gear on the interstate except for thrilling 60 MPH down hill thrill rides. The 2.5 is almighty on the trail in 2 and 3 low, but you might get to meet the almighty on the interstate ! There is I believe only one gear change, the 4.88's.

So it looks like 33's are not the best idea, I think that im going to stick with my 31's and just go wider. as far as the engine mods that bounty hunter suggested "Consider an electric fan to replace the mechanical, a cold-air intake system, and a 62mm throttle body." what kind of performance should I expect, and I was going to buy a safari snorkel so would that act as a cold-air?

So it looks like 33's are not the best idea, I think that im going to stick with my 31's and just go wider. as far as the engine mods that bounty hunter suggested "Consider an electric fan to replace the mechanical, a cold-air intake system, and a 62mm throttle body." what kind of performance should I expect, and I was going to buy a safari snorkel so would that act as a cold-air?

I have done all these mods that you mention, and I am installing a safari snorkel (which WILL act as both a cold air intake and even a bit as a ram air if you face the scoop forward). From the mods, dont expect huge "feel-of-your-pants" differences, but you will notice that you will not need to downshift as often as you used to (I also run 31's, and did all the mods before regearing to 4.88's, which came about a year after all the other mods were installed). The biggest difference for me came from the regearing, though, but that was also the most expensive mod.

The fan will free up some ponies, and I recommend the Delta Current Control FK35 controller if you decide to go with the FoMoCo fan (which has worked beautifully for me). With the 62mm TB, what you are looking for is more air coming in to the engine, but in order to get the most out of the air, you will need the right amount of fuel available, and for you, this can be had with another junkyard swap, this time, by means of the Ford mustang injectors. Another thing to consider is the air filter; I used to run the K&N filter in the stock box, but now changed to the FRAM AirHog.

Once you got all the air and fuel going in, you need to consider how to light the mixture; I recommend a Performance Distributor kit (it includes the screaming Demon coil, Live Wires, cap and rotor) and match it to .065 gapped plugs which will give you better ignition.

After the combustion, you need to think on how to get all these gases out, and this is where a high flow cat and cat back system help (and headers if you want, but just make sure they increase low end torque, and not horse power at the higher rpm's, as this is useless for us Jeepers).

Again, I reinstate that none of these mods will make HUGE improvements, but all together, they do add (or free up) some ponies. But it will not be like regearing. If you want some ideas on how to build up the 2.5L, i recommend you visit www.4bangerjp.com as you will find TONS of information there (rebuilding of the 2.5L for higher compression, turboing the 2.5L, supercharging the 2.5L, etc). There you will find some 2.5L that will give the 4.0L a run for its money (by the way, both Bounty and I are also in the other forum, and we both have 2.5L Jeeps).

Felipe

I also did everything I could to get those big wheels turning on my little 4 banger with the 6 speed man. I don't know who's great idea it was to put that transmission and gears together. I tried so hard to find 5th gear but didn't even consider 6th. In the end, 4.88s all the way. Now I feel like a brand new man.

Last edited:
Back