Some "handy" work.

Collin the Hen

Ok, I thought I would show some of you guys the junk I've made for my Jeep.

The gas tank skid came together very well. I was very surprised how it turned out. It turned out not to be much less than a new "shroud" because I had the metal company cut it for me. However, this is 1/8 inch steel, so it's much stronger than a shroud. I had to notch some metal out on the right side because my shackle got in the way. That's what that recession is.

The second thing I am showing is the rear frame/bumper. The angle iron on the end acts like a tube, so that slides over the frame and is bolted in with 6 grade 8 bolts. That angle iron allowed me to move my shackle rearward to increase downward travel, too.
I welded those shackle eyelets on before I learned how to a multiple pass t-weld, so a couple of those beads have a hole in them. I've contemplated grinding them down and putting on a nice t-weld. In fact, I think I'll do that right now. :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    958.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    757 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 122

Very nice work, good to see people fabricate.

I'd drill some holes in that new skidplate for drainage and paint it/cooat it with something durable if you want your handiwork to last very long; water that gets splashed in there will need some way to get outta there! Mine on my 97 TJ was quite rusty when I did my frame swap; but I "caught it" in time; knocked off all the loose scale and POR 15'd the snot out of it!

Wow, I didn't know you could zoom in like that. There you can see the booger welds on the shackle eyelets in the bottom right picture. I'm glad I fixed those.

I'll be making a front bumper soon, too. It'll probably be 2x4 inch rect. tubing. I'll also be finishing up some home brewed rocker panels, so those might be up tomorrow. As soon as I get my Jeep mobile, I'll make a prerunner style spare tire carrier to take place of the rear seat.

If any of you guys peeking at these pics are interested on anything I post, feel free to ask about them. I'd love to give away what little knowledge I have on this stuff.

I'd drill some holes in that new skidplate for drainage and paint it/cooat it with something durable if you want your handiwork to last very long; water that gets splashed in there will need some way to get outta there! Mine on my 97 TJ was quite rusty when I did my frame swap; but I "caught it" in time; knocked off all the loose scale and POR 15'd the snot out of it!

I made two holes right by the rear angle. I was actually thinking about adding a couple more. It's nothing a torch and reamer can't fix. Luckily, my tank is plastic, so it's just fine and shouldn't "leak" rust on the inside.

As far as POR-15 goes, I painted some stuff with it, but I must not have slobbered it on enough. I coated most of my frame with the stuff and there's a couple spots where rust is poking through. I'll find something to coat on it. I think the rest of my POR-15 dried up. Man that stuff is temperamental.

Back