4cyl into 6cyl

ADKhrist

Hey, i have a 2001 wrangler tj 4cyl manual and i'm thinking about buying a early 1999 wrangler tj 6cyl manual. I have a question, will my trans be able to handle it?, or would i have to get a new one?

Welcome to the Z.

You're considering installing a 6cyl in front of your 4cyl transmission?

First off, it will not bolt up. There are no conversion bellhousings that I'm aware of. The 4cyl transmission (AX5) is not designed to handle the power of the 4.0L engine.

Swapping in a 4.0L is not that easy or desirable. It's no where close to a bolt-in, and the finished product is just another run of the mill 4.0L jeep. Much better off trading up to a 6cyl jeep, or swapping the 4cyl for a good v6 like the GM 4.3L or a v8.

X2; upgrading to the I6 is just not worth the amount of work that will need to be done... Also, there are plenty of things that you can do to a 4 banger to make it run stronger and that are easier than an engine swap. Some guys in other forums have installed supercharges, turbos, and one guy did a sixty over bore, and increased compression to increase power... You can also FREE UP some power by doing some simple conversions (eFan, etc.).

Im not looking for a speed or power upgrade, im just looking for a better engine. or to just make adjustments to mine. any tips on what to do?

Advance adapter now makes an adapter, however the ax5 can’t handle it. Trade up jeeps is the fastest opt. However there is a ton of guys hard wheeling with 4 baggers. Check your gearing ratios there might be some power there. Those four squirrels make about the same torque as my AMC V8. Torque is king not HP. The four and six cylinder is the same basic engine. FYI the four bagger is the best 4 bagger engine. It really has not changed since the fifties.

However there is a ton of guys hard wheeling with 4 baggers. Check your gearing ratios there might be some power there. Those four squirrels make about the same torque as my AMC V8. Torque is king not HP. The four and six cylinder is the same basic engine. FYI the four bagger is the best 4 bagger engine. It really has not changed since the fifties.

I second that; when I changed from 4.10 to 4.88, the difference in power gain as HUGE (I currently run 31" tires, by the way). Where the power difference really comes into play is at high speed, but many people ride some pretty hard trails on 4 Bangers... A guy from another forum just did Moab, and did just fine with his 4 angry squirels!

Felipe

Back