need some help with a lift

guitarist791

i am new to jeeps. i got a used 2001 sahara in january with a 4in suspension lift on it. i have a couple questions to asked that may make me resemble a retard but here we go.

do shocks raised your car or when they said 2in does that mean you have to have that much of a lift to put it in there?

can you add more than one body lift like say i bought 2 3in body lifts, can i install both for 6in?

I didnt understand the first question.As far as the body lift,please dont use two 3" lifts.It would put so much stress on the bolts that the first time you hit the brakes hard the bolts may snap and send the body of the Jeep flying threw the air.Most people do not recommend going any more than a 1" body lift because of the added stress on the bolts.There are some that have gone up to 3" and say they never had a problem.As far as me my life over the extra 2" I will pcik my life..1" at most for me.

Welcome to the Z!!!:welcome:

Plus, if you pt a 6 inch body lift. It would look Awful!!!! Major frame to body gab and just plain dangerous. Like Tony said, go with a 1" BL. Shocks are more less what keeps the ride smooth and not bouncing all over the place. They dampen the up and down movment of the suspension. the springs, either it be coils or leafs, are what gives you the lift.

I would never recommend going over 1'' of body lift. I have some friends who have up to 3'' of body lift and they have had no problem. I just feel more safe with suspension.

can you add more than one body lift like say i bought 2 3in body lifts, can i install both for 6in?

Yes, can I see pics when your done. I would be scared of a lot of illegal imigrants and wayward hobo's living in the gap between teh frame and body though.

JK

Just haing some fun with you.

What others said is correct, the job of shocks are not to support the weight of the vehicle, they are for dampening the ride and improving the quality of that ride. the only two exceptions would be air shocks and coil overs, neither of which you have so forget I mentioned them.

Guitarist,

In the simplest termas I can explain, the job of the shocks is to keep the Jeep (or any car, for that matter) from continuing to bounce up and down after hitting a bump on the road. In other words, they let the suspension (the actual leaf springs or coils - coils in your case) move up and down, but put some pressure on both directions so that the spring moves up and down only a couple of times...

Now, get a shock that is very hard (I have heard that Rancho's fall in this category, but have never run them myself, so I cannot attest to this), and the up and don will be drastically reduce, but the ride will be harsher. Get one that is too soft (or a broken shock), and the ride will be very soft, but the jeep will continue to bounce up and down (you have probably seen some car with broken shoks; when they over a speed bump, they continue to bounce up and down the rest of the street!).

If you want to know which shocks work well, simply ask, and peolpe here will surely tell you their opinion of any brand they run...

Now, when they talk about suspension lift, in your case (coils), it can mean 2 things: spacers on top of the coils (also called Budget Boost) or actually longer coils (Suspension Lift). For 2 inches, the budget bust shold work just fine and save you some money. Just keep in mind that anytime you change suspension travel you need to make sure the shocks can handle the new distance...

As for the body lift, I agree with what is said before; I would not go more than 1" if any. Not only is it dangerous, it just looks weird to have that much.

Back