Wiring up the winch I've got comin'

Turbogus

Posting from electonics forum
Greetings gang from Oregon~where if the rain don't kill you, you can do it yourself.
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a 4 1/2 ton winch for "Black Betty" my '78 Renegade. I'm hip that the winch likely needs to have power direct from the battery and in setups I've seen, simply adding an extension cable works fine.
My trouble is, I already have an extension cable running from the battery to a power distibution box that powers other essential circuits (aux lights x4, audio amplifier, CB, Bi Linear amplifier, etc. and two extensions off of the positive battery terminal seems unwise.:bomb:
Is there such a thing as a Y splitter battery cable? or a 0-4 guage power distibution block? I've been searching the web over the weekend and have come up with zilch. Perhaps there's another way to attack this problem I'm not yet aware of.
Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for any responses.

:rolleyes: Okay gang, just found that my battery is a dual post type, so I'll just go to NAPA and get a battery terminal post convertor and I'll be set. I think the idiocy of some of my customers is rubbing off on me:crazy:

A lot of folks will tell you to use the thicker top posts for the winch due to the amount of current a winch will draw. Use the side posts for your starter, etc..
However, I run the winch on the side posts and haven't had any trouble. This is with an optima yellow top though...not sure if they are thicker than most or not.

I learned that the manufaturer of Optima is Johnson Controls (lift of the lynch lid to Phil) the same as the Krikland Costco batteries, I wonder if they're made to the same specification? As it is I only run secondary electrical on the side posts. the winch and starter both are on the top posts.

Back