Transmission

CAnderson1034

I am about ready to drop an AMC 360 in my 79 CJ-5. I currently have a T-150 trans. in it right now. My question is, is there a better transmission I should look for? My T-150 is bad, cost more to rebuild than buy used. I found a T-10 for sale for $125. Any suggestions? I also have the Dana 20. Thanks

T150 can handle the power. You should be able to pick one up dirt cheap because no one wants them due to their terrible nature offroad. T150's are fine for the street though. Look into a T18 or T176. T176 can be used with the Dana 300 which is a popular replacement for the Dana20.

An excellent write up in JP magazine Apr '09 did a report on the Top 11 Transmissions and Transfer Case swaps. To paraphrase just a few for V-8s;
a.New Venture NVG3550 swap into any Jeep up to 300 hp with 23 spline on account of Peugeot stipulation transfer case adapter needed
b. BorgWarner T18 bulletproof 4 speed but, Jeep used 18 variants of this trans. desirable first gear ratio 6.32/1 you'll have to do some searching. The best of all OE Jeep Transmissions in terms of inner strength and abuse it can take
c.GM Muncie SM420 swap into any Jeep that needs lowest low gear in a standard Transmission.
d. GM Muncie SM465 swap into any Jeep, can live with high horsepower motors

there are several others listed in this write up you may be able to link through
jpmagazine.com

Last edited:
The beauty to the stock 77-79 CJ bell housing is it is drilled for both the Ford butterfly (same as the T150) and the CJ T18 patterns. This gives you flexibility in which T18, Ford or CJ, you can put behind the AMC motor. I would stay with the T18; the money you save on changing the bell hosing or picking up an adaptor will help pay for the transmission.

Yes there have been different versions of the T18 but primarily we are talking either a 4.02 or 6.32 granny gear and the length of the input shaft. A little hunting may be required to find the one you want but to me the hunt is part of the fun.

Here is a web site that has a wealth of info:

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/cjt18/

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I found a good deal on a NP435. My question now is will I need to alter my driveshaft length in any way with this new transmission? Once again thanks for all the help.

Sorry, I am kinda new at this stuff. What exactly is it that I am looking for? Those pages give a lot of information that is a little over my head. The only differences I see is the overall transmission length is 1.8in longer on the Np435 and 1in less stick out length on the NP435. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I am needing to buy the transmission in the next couple of days so if anybody has any information on weather or not I will have to alter my driveshafts it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Back