Diesel conversion

REDLEG

Just got my first Jeep, a 93 with a bad engine and a good body (paid $1500.00). I am going to do a frame up restore,using a cummins 4bt3.9L diesel and a 700R auto transmission. (Jeff Daniels Jeep is doing this part). Has anyone in this forum done this conversion, or knows of someone who has? Thank you for any feed back.

Last edited:

I have been interested in this kind of conversion for awhile now. Couple sites i have found which should help you greatly.

Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Garrett's "Marshtackie" - My Jeep Club

1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ Cummins Diesel Engine Swap - Diesel Power Magazine

3.9L cummins in Jeep Wrangler?????? - Diesel Power Forums at Diesel Power Magazine

Keep us informed on what and how you do this converion please. And MOST importantly post PICTURES!!! (pop-up ones that move are even better)

Bacon

I did.
Started with a 98 TJ bad engine. Started out using the TH475 that came with the engine but changed my mind and used the AX-15/231. I replaced the axles with a Sterling 10.25 and a high pinion D60, detroit lockers in both. I am running 38" tires.

Last edited:

What is the gearing you are running in your Jeep with the 3.9bt? I am looking to try and hit 65-70mph highway to get to and from the trails max.

Bacon

I am running 5.38 gears, I am not worried about highway speed. There aren't any trails close by so it will get towed to and from.

The jump in gas mileage is amazing. A friend of mine has the 4bt with a larger hy35 turbo. He claims to get 35 mpg cruising at 65 and 30mpg cruising at 70. He's also not worried about his gearing with over 600ft/lbs of torque. I've raced him with the 4.0 and he left me in a cloud of black smoke:eek:

P.S.- It took him a while to find axles strong enough to hold up. He was snapping them like toothpicks

I could believe he was snapping axles. I should be ok there... Ford 79 D60 with 35spline inners and outers and a 14bolt. Both Detroit locked with 5.13s. Would be using a SM465 transmission when I eventually (2years or so) get around to doing this swap.

Bacon

Is it really worth going diesel? With Diesel so expensive now?
The reason I did mine is I am a heavy diesel mechanic, so diesels are sort of second nature to me. The only gas engines I own are my chain saws. I agree looking at the engine swap from purely a MPG/ fuel cost savings point is debatable at best. I know quite a few who have swapped this same engine into a wide variety of vehicles and MPG will vary greatly for a given type of vehicle. There are other engines that would yield much better economy but would not be the best for my application (low rpm torque).

Last edited:
Back