OOps Clutch in mud and water

blakhole73

I am wondering if i can simply take my clutch apart and clean it after getting stuck in some pretty deep mud and water. I did engage the clutch while stuck, and now the clutch is slipping. I guess that I can perhaps just clean it but need some more educated opinions than my own to figure this out. Thank you for your responses.

The only way to know for sure is to pull the x-case & transmission to see what's going on. It could just be left over mud but who knows if the wet clutch and slipping has done any damage.

After you rinsed off as much mud as possible, let it sit and dry. Also make sure you didn't get and water in the transmission and the front and rear axles. If the fluids are ok, road test and check it for slipping. I've gone mudding plenty of times enough that the entire tires are submerged into a slushy mud with no damage to the clutch. The trick is not to shift into another gear when you go in the pit, otherwise you will allow the mud in between both sides of the clutch disc and cause it to slip.

That was my mistake,I did shift in the mud, thought that I could rock it out of the pit. Anyways I think that you are correct, but was just looking for some input. As far as the diffs go, I change them every time that I go just to be safe. But the clutch had nothing there, it was like pushing air, so I think that it is completely full of mud and debris. Lesson learned I guess, dont engage the clutch in mud and water, but had a great time anyway. 5 jeeps went one came back under its own power, GREAT TIME.

I feel like an idiot, I could have just used the expensive bumper acc. But hey I had to try it. Thanks for your response, and by all means if you think of anymore please post it.

I have had this happen before. I removed the inspection plate, start the engine and either have someone hold the clutch in or put a board between the seat and clutch to hold the clutch in. Then with trans in neutral and wheels chalked (for safety) squirt the friction disk with a garden hose to flush out gravel mud etc.

That sounds like a plan, will do this on thursday, and hopefully it will be ready to go again this weekend. Thanks for all the help, and assurance that it did not tear it up.

You might want to start the Jeep and work the clutch a little each day as it dries out so the disc doesn't stick to the flywheel and pressure plate. I've had them bond pretty good.

Ahh, yes... Passengers always get a kick out of the dataplate on the dash of the M37 that reads, "BELL HOUSING DRAIN PLUG STOWED IN GLOVEBOX - INSTALL BEFORE FORDING, REMOVE AFTER FORDING" :lol: Best of luck - John

With out engaging the clutch, i can freely move between all gears with no grinding. This has me really puzzled.

Will the jeep move under it's own power? Sounds like either something is WAY out of adjustment or broken.

There is no smell of clutch. Occasionally it will move, but much slipping when it does, this only occurs after working the clutch in and out several times. The whole gear thing has me puzzled.

Well, like what the gang suggest, time to yank that trans. out and see how bad that clutch is. I wouldn't try running it like that anymore, you might end up ruining your flywheel.

IT has not been started for a few days now. I am planning to tear it out this weekend, anyone want to come help give me a shout

That was my mistake,I did shift in the mud, thought that I could rock it out of the pit. Anyways I think that you are correct, but was just looking for some input. As far as the diffs go, I change them every time that I go just to be safe. But the clutch had nothing there, it was like pushing air, so I think that it is completely full of mud and debris. Lesson learned I guess, dont engage the clutch in mud and water, but had a great time anyway. 5 jeeps went one came back under its own power, GREAT TIME.
5 jeeps went one came back under its own power, GREAT TIME.

an 80% mortality rate?
that doesnt sound like something i'd want to pay for.

Again thanks for all the posts, I pulled the clutch apart, cleaned it and away we go. looked as though a botanist had set up shop in my transmission.

Back