gears

VonToth68

I have an 89 wrangler 4-cyl. 4x4 with 33x12.5's, as far as i know, the rear end is completely stock. I got the jeep this way, should I change the gears to a different ratio? [addsig]

I presume that the 33's are a bit hard to move with the 4 banger.

If you trail a lot, here's the ultimate solution!

Get a pair of unimogs or Volvo C304 portal axles.

You get ,

1. 8:1 diff ratio, enough to run 35 inch tyres and above.

2.Rockcrawl without changing the xcase ratio.

3.Have minimum 1feet of pumpkin to ground clearance, on 35 inch tyres

4.Have built in vacuum operated front and rear lockers.

Downside is that you'll probably do 80kph at 3000rpms.

Get this: the Volvo C304s have a removable third member and steering knuckle so you can flip the axles to match the YJ's left front output shaft. The rear axle pumpkin is offset right. But that shouldn't be a problem, theoretcally.

Anyone bolted in one of these portals in their YJs yet? I'm saving enough cash to get me a pair.

[addsig]

I presume that the 33's are a bit hard to move with the 4 banger.

If you trail a lot, here's the ultimate solution!

Get a pair of unimogs or Volvo C304 portal axles.

You get ,

1. 8:1 diff ratio, enough to run 35 inch tyres and above.

2.Rockcrawl without changing the xcase ratio.

3.Have minimum 1feet of pumpkin to ground clearance, on 35 inch tyres

4.Have built in vacuum operated front and rear lockers.

Downside is that you'll probably do 80kph at 3000rpms.

Get this: the Volvo C304s have a removable third member and steering knuckle so you can flip the axles to match the YJ's left front output shaft. The rear axle pumpkin is offset right. But that shouldn't be a problem, theoretcally.

Anyone bolted in one of these portals in their YJs yet? I'm saving enough cash to get me a pair.

And yeah, you can use the stock YJ springs cause the portal gives you 6 inches of lift already. Just need to fabricate spring perches.

[addsig]

Portals, ya right
image-missing.png

You've got 4.11 gears in the axles if it's still stock. You'll want to install 4.88 gears to get performance back close to stock. 4.88 is low as you can go in the original axles. You won't regain all the lost performance due to the increased weight of the tires over stock size.[addsig]

Back