Steering Column, lower bearing and steering shaft U joint

Turbogus

Howdy gang,
Well, after I finally get this winch wired up it'll be time to either save up for parts, or get a whole 'nother column.
Previous owner put a GM column from an automatic in 'Black Betty' and it's been working fine. However of late I'm noticing some lateral play in the exposed portion of the steering shaft at the U joint, not very sloppy but enough to be concerned along with some play at the lower column bearing. She still steers smooth but on occasion I feel a slight extra effort needed in low speed maneuvers. Not really a problem though.
I'm considering the balance of the misc parts and effort needed versus purchasing a whole correct column. :scratch: What do you think?

Thanks in advance and a lift of the lynch lid for any responses

I replaced mine with a newer style lower column bearing from a 2002 gmc pickup. Part# 88963617. I trimmed off the edges that holds the evo sensor and slipped it on where the original bearing and ran a self tapping screw on the lip of the bearing to hold it in place on the tube. Smooth.

...and as the Germans say; fik und scheisse.
Turned out the steering lower shaft splines were kaput on the column end, as was the column bearings and inner shaft. Going with a rebuilt 28" column to help alleviate the drivability comfort.

....continued.
So from an EBay store I purchased a newly rebuilt column, set it up for 2nd day air on UPS. That took 5 friggen days.:x Took the column to the shop for install as I work 7 days, hard to budget time for auto work. Found out there was damage to the new column, namely the output shaft had impact damage and the ignition cylinder is very hard to turn.:x Called the EBay store and was advised to call UPS to report damage. Now I have to re-package the column and ship it to UPS's claims center so THEY can tell me the damage is "pre existing":bomb:
FIK und SCHEISSE

Well finally got another steeting column and had the thing installed (I was too busy at work, still on 7 days) but the horn doesn't work. Going to get into the turn signal switch belwo the steering wheel and find what they did wrong, likely the plunger spring is hung up.

Can you or did you take pictures of the install and what column did you by off ebay.
I am trying to fix mine or just get a new one the old is a mess. I put in general discussion what mine looks like. Would you take a look and see if yours is the same or give me any tips. :?:

Howdy moonbeam, I've looked over the Jeep sevice manuals for my '78 (printed by AMC) and the rebuild looked straightforward, but owing to my 7 day work week I had a shop do the install. One thing the shop missed though was making sure the gound circuit for the horn had continuity.

Here's some pics of my column post install;

SteeringColumn1-1.jpg

SteeringColumn2-1.jpg

SteeringColumn3-1.jpg

Wow looks great I hope mine will look so good when I get done. Thanks for the photos I am kind of the visual person can fix it if I can see it.:)

By the way, pic no. 2 Shows the new support fixture I made from plumber's tape albeit HEAVY gauge to support the engine oil dipstick tube~three had broken off before

Another thing, if one buys a rebuilt column, buyer beware ~ Despite checking the reputation of the seller on EBay of this rebuilt column, I found that while the hard parts (bearings, etc.) The wiring harness was in bad shape, apparently pulled from a wreck, neither the horn circuit had continuity nor the hazard lights.

Back