2006 Jeep Wrangler Misfiring

I buy and sell about 40 jeep wrangler's a year and I finally bought a 4 cylinder SE model (2006).

It's a six speed manual that shifts fine, but I feel like the engine is misfiring. Where would you guys recommend I look first? Spark Plugs? Wiring?

Also, any suggestions on getting some more oomph out of that 4 banger that would be somewhat inexpensive?

Thanks everyone! 8)

Start by isolating the cylinder that's mis-firing. Swap the sparkplug from the other cylinder and re-test. If the mis-fire follows, replace the spark plug. If it doesn't, swap the ignition wire from another cylinder. In this case, 1 and 4 , 2-3 will have the same wire. If the misfire follows the the wire, replace the wire.

For the cost I would just give it a tune up to start,could probably use it any way.With it being a 4 banger it does not cost that much to replace the plugs,wires,rotor,and cap.Also it can be used as a selling point,if you plan on selling it.As far as MPG it really depends on the tire size and gears.I run 31" tires with stock gears and get 17mpg in city.Which I am very happy with after talking to other people that seem to fight to get double digits.

........With it being a 4 banger it does not cost that much to replace the plugs,wires,rotor,and cap...........

Don't go to the parts store asking for a rotor and cap..........they'll look at you REAL funny. Made that mistake myself on my '03 - parts guy couldn't find any listing and was going to sell me a set from an '02. Went home and popped the hood and.....SURPRISE!!!!.....no distributor!!! I'm assuming your '06 is the same engine.

Don't go to the parts store asking for a rotor and cap..........they'll look at you REAL funny. Made that mistake myself on my '03 - parts guy couldn't find any listing and was going to sell me a set from an '02. Went home and popped the hood and.....SURPRISE!!!!.....no distributor!!! I'm assuming your '06 is the same engine.

Exellent point. The 2.4 liter is a single c.o.p.(coil on plug), no rotor or distributor cap.

I did not know about the no rotor and cap,nice to know..I personally have a 97 2.5l and it has a rotor cap so I assumed they all sis..We all know what happens when yo assume.:deadhorse:

Yup it was just the plugs thankfully :)

Now if I could only get more Horsepower out of this 4 banger! lol

Thanks guys

Back