5.7 In my YJ.

freedomfly

I have been throwing around the idea of putting a 5.7 vortec out of a suburban into my YJ for a while now. The other day i was changing my oil and noticed that my rear axle is in pretty bad shape. So that being said, I think that replacing the axle stock and then putting a larger one in later would make no sense. So at the moment I am scrambling parts so that I can finish before my dad gets home on leave.
What type of axle would you guys recomend using? I have a price range of a little over 1500. What can I find at a junk yard?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thankyou,
Lenny

If you are planning on the 5.7, then you may want to consider a D60 axle... What size tires are you considering?

I am currently running 31's but i am going to be running 33's by the end.

Swap your axle first. If you swap the motor out then youre jeep is going to sit until you do the axle swap anyways. Ford 8.8 from an Explorer will be just fine for what you want to run. Several +;s for the 8.8-they are plentiful, parts are easily found, Disc brakes if you get them out of the Explorer also the same bolt pattern as what you have already so your wheels will bolt right back on

Do you have the vehical the 5.7 is coming out of? If so just take the entire powertrain (or close to) and stuff it in your Jeep. You will have to find a heavier front axle if you go with this plan.

I have always liked and relied on Novak's knowledge base for engine and transmission swaps into a Jeep.

www.novak-adapt.com

Bacon

If you only have $1500 to work with, then your options are going to be limited. I would get an 8.8" rear end out of a Ford Explorer as already mentioned, some of them have 4.10 gears, and they are plenty strong (stronger than a Dana 44). As for the engine, isn't a 5.7L the same as a 350? Either way you would need to weld in new motor mounts, and it would not be an easy swap by any means. What engine does the Jeep have in it right now? I would look at either swapping in a 4.0 if you have a 2.5L, or stroking a 4.0 out to 4.6L which will give you comparable power to a 350 and it will bolt right in. What state are you in? I know here in CA V8 swaps are a no-go with smog regulations.

I would look at either swapping in a 4.0 if you have a 2.5L

If you have a 2.5L it is not worth it to swap in a 4.0L... If you are going to swap engines, might as well go bigger than the 4.0L, as it will be the same effort to put a V6 or V8 in... The transmission behind the 2.5L will not be able to handle the 4.0L anyay, so the only part that will work (andI think the input shafts are different anyway) is the TC...

There are a few axles I would consider swapping up to.. the 8.8, a D44 (maybe out of an XJ?), and a Ford 9". I think I'd pass on the D60 or 14Bolt (one ton axles) since they're so big.

As for the engine swap.. I wouldn't attempt one (at least a V8 swap) with a budget of less than a couple grand. Things add up quickly.. and it really is a "domino affect".

Swapping to a Chevy small block will require adapters, engine mounts, conversion radiator, new exhaust, probably new driveshafts....etc.

I'm not trying to discourage you but I've seen a ton of abandoned projects over the years. Almost all were the result of someone getting in over their head/budget.

Your best tool for swapping is the internet. Do a bunch of research. Start a spreadsheet with prices for everything you think you'll need. Don't forget to add shipping into the equation.

I would recommend against the Ford 8.8 simply because that will limit your front axle upgrade choices as you still have the small 5x4.5" lug pattern.

Consider a rear Dana44 from an Isuzu Rodeo and a front Dana44 from a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. You will have 4whl disc brakes and the same 6-lug wheel pattern at each corner. You will also get serviceable bearings up front, stronger axle housings, more affordable highsteer options, lockable hubs, etc.

You can get in to both axles for under $500 generally, then spend the rest on regearing the axles with your choice of differentials.

Not to pirate too much here, but...

I found a front and rear D44 from a Scout for $950.

1) is that too much?
2) how hard would it be to adapt those to a YJ?

We put a Ford D44 and 9" in our YJ. Full width went well with the SOA. I don't think a SOA is for everyone but the axles are working our great!!

I just contacted a guy about a wagoneer with AMC20 rear and Dana 44 front with 360 AMC engine and transmission. He says the engine has some part taken off of it but not much.. He wants only 300 for the whole thing. Good or Bad? I don't know much about axles, so any help is nice.

Not to pirate too much here, but...

I found a front and rear D44 from a Scout for $950.

1) is that too much?
2) how hard would it be to adapt those to a YJ?

1) It depends what condition the axles are in, and what components they have. I bought a scout front and rear dana 44 set with all new brakes for $500, but they had the original carriers, gears, and bearings which I replaced ($1000 in parts right there)
2) The lug pattern is different, so you would need new rims. Also you would need to rotate the knuckles, not easy but can be done with a grinder, sledge hammer, angle finder, and welder...took me a full day to get it set-up right.

Back to freedomfly's post, the amc 20 rearend is not very desireable...it has a large/strong ring gear, but has 2-piece axle shafts that are inherently weak--it is common to swap out the amc 20 for a dana 44, ford 8.8 or 9", or dana 60. The AMC 360 is not a bad engine, the only problem is that parts can be harder to find and can cost more than SBC parts.

The Scout axles aren't a good choice, the front diff is on the wrong side and they have 0º caster, not good.

The Waggy AMC20 rear axle isn't bad, it comes with one piece axleshafts standard, not the weak 2-piece like found in it's CJ cousin.

$950 is a lot for a pair of axles around here, unless they already had the correct gear ratio and maybe some upgraded differentials. That's a lot for bone stock axles.

Look for the Isuzu/Waggy d44 combo, great setup and affordable. Used Dana 44 Axles for Jeeps - JP Magazine

Back