Smog Check Cheats?

Boze

Well I've put it off as long as I could, but I am finally going to have to register my Jeep. Up in good 'ol central Oregon there is no such thing as emission controls, so I never really gave it a second thought. However, here in SoCal they seem to see things a little differently. Now I'm not entirely sure my '93 YJ will fail, but it sure smells like it's either burning some oil or running pretty ritch. It's fuel injected so I'm sort of ruling out the latter, (though I may have a bad oxygen sensor, but I think that would set off a dumby light). So, the question is:

What are some things I can do to hedge the bets in my favor before going in to the smog shop? I've heard everything from adding a bottle of lucas to my oil, (which I already did a long time ago), to advancing the timing a little bit. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks Guys.

-Boze

You can't adjust the timing on that engine. Some auto parts stores sell a bottle with a title about being guaranteed to pass emissions, forget the real name. Not sure if it's sold in emissions-strict Cali or not.

I'd buy a can of SeaFoam and follow the instructions on adding it to the intake and to the fuel tank. For the intake, suck it slowly through the vacuum tube for the brake booster. Follow the instructions on the can closely, this will help clean your valves and catalytic converter.

I thought if you bring a car into California you at least don't have to have all of the CA emissions equipment. Maybe because your jeep doesn't have all of the smog stuff the test will be a little more friendly. I have a cousin living in the SF Bay area who use to register his jeep at my parents house in Oregon for years. His excuse was that it was a "title" issue, but maybe the title had a little smog problem.

(Rocky are you out there?)

Dont count on it...being from there they suck....I am pretty sure if it fails it tells you why and if it costs over 1k you dont have to fix it....

Get a 'practice' smog test, any smog shop will do it--this way if it fails, they won't tell the dmv and you can fix it before going in for the actual test.
ps to adjust the timing you can file out the holes on the CPS and move it around a tiny bit to fool the ecu, also you can adjust the a/f ratio with an adjustable map sensor

Hmm...Ok. Thanks guys. I've toyed with the idea of driving it back up to Oregon and registering it there like my dd, but it's just shy of 1,000 miles. I'm not entirely sure she'll make the haul. Seafoam, practice check, over $1,000 to fix it and I don't have to...roger that. Thanks again.

Back