Cj Body - Yj Frame

sexton

Hi everybody. Heres the deal, I am looking to getting another jeep. I had one about four years ago and didnt really know much about it except it was great in the woods and that my father had loved it before he gave it to me.

Right now, I have been working some extra hours to gain a little bit of play money. I've come across a Cj7 that has been wrecked in the front end. No title and frame is bent badly. I also came across a 94 Yj Wrangler frame with title. I was wondering how hard it would be to switch out the frame on the Cj? Are the suspension systems much different?

Thanks for any help in advance, as I dont want to pass up a good deal if it only requires a little work.

Well, Seeing as how the tubs are almost identical between the CJ and the YJ it would be as simple as unbolting the CJ tub and re-bolting it to the YJ. the differences lie in the fuel tank filler location--that is easily moved around. I am not sure about the front clip compatibility but the CJ front clip only has 1 mounting bolt. If the front frames are different in that aspect making something to support the CJ front clip would be easy enough. Swapping a YJ tub onto a CJ is pretty common and straightforward bolt on so I don't see why it wouldnt' be in reverse order.

Well I guess its worth a shot then. My father and I are metal fabricators and worse comes to worse we have to do more welding a cutting than I had planned. With the tubs being so close, would the front clips be interchangeable as well? Or no? The body that is available was hit in the front and needs a new front clip. Thanks alot Keith!

the tub will swap on, you will need to cut off and move and reweld one body mount per side, the one under the front seats. other than that, pretty much bolt on. the front on the other hand will not fit, you will need to move or modify the radiator mount on the YJ frame to accept the CJ grille. you will only have to move it a couple inches, no a lot, someone with basic fab skills can make it work.. Or keep the YJ front end on there, it will bolt up to the tub.

In order to title it and register it you will need a good paper trail of where every major component came from. Get a bill of sale for the CJ7 and keep track of the VIN. Don't cut any vin plates off or swap them, that's illegal.

Once you're finished you will likely have to take the vehicle and paperwork to your local highway patrol to have it inspected and a VIN issued. This varies slightly state to state so check with your registration office or highway patrol to find out the proper way of mating these two vehicles.

In order to title it and register it you will need a good paper trail of where every major component came from. Get a bill of sale for the CJ7 and keep track of the VIN. Don't cut any vin plates off or swap them, that's illegal.

Once you're finished you will likely have to take the vehicle and paperwork to your local highway patrol to have it inspected and a VIN issued. This varies slightly state to state so check with your registration office or highway patrol to find out the proper way of mating these two vehicles.

It appears he is in Florida, it's like the wild west down there for vehicles. no inspections needed, no insurance needed.

Back