electrical!!!!

Either a stuck starter relay or a stuck solenoid or even possibly a stuck closed ignition switch on the column.. I don't remember the setup on your electrical so your gonn'a have to help me here as well. If you have an external starter solenoid start there. Disconnect the starter cable to the solenoid then install the battery cable. If the solenoid clicks on, disconnect the cable and disconnect the ignition signal wire(this is the wire that comes FROM the ignition switch. then re install the batt. cable. IF The solenoid still kicks on , replace the solenoid. IF it does not, check or replace the ignition switch.

Yes I do have a a starter relay that's on the firewall on the passanger side, and i also have a external starter solenoid, but i don't think you have to get a new starter to replace it.

I disconnected the starter from it's solenoid and it clicked once when i reconnected the battery terminal, like it was getting power.

I disconnected the starter wire from the relay to the solenoid and got the same response when i reconnected the battery terminal.

The other thing is, everything else comes on as soon as i reconnect the battery...warning buzzer for my seat belt, all the gauges, etc...just like the key is turned on, which it isn't.

One change to what i just posted that i noticed. For some reason the radio is seems to be the only thing not coming on.

Yes I do have a a starter relay that's on the firewall on the passanger side, and i also have a external starter solenoid, but i don't think you have to get a new starter to replace it.

I disconnected the starter from it's solenoid and it clicked once when i reconnected the battery terminal, like it was getting power.

I disconnected the starter wire from the relay to the solenoid and got the same response when i reconnected the battery terminal.

The other thing is, everything else comes on as soon as i reconnect the battery...warning buzzer for my seat belt, all the gauges, etc...just like the key is turned on, which it isn't.
No you do not have to get a new starter to replace the solenoid. That's a good symptom you just pointed out. Check the ignition switch where the connectors are, disconnect the harness and see if it still does it. I'm willing to bet you that the switch itself is stuck in the on position.

I would start looking into the steering column.It sounds like your key switch may be broke,even know you have it on it sounds like it is stuck in the start position.Would also explain why the radio is not coming on,when you turn the key to the start the radio will normally turn off.Either that or a short in the fuse block.

I'm not sure if i got it but i disconnected all the wires i could see/reach coming out of the column under the dash, and every thing still came on when i connected the battery.

yeah! <-sarcasm.

check the linkage to the switch and make sure it didn't get dislodged.

I had a very similar problem (it would crank when I attached the battery cable with the key in my pocket...I think I have a thread with that or a similar name on here somewhere from last year). I think I had to replace the whole starter relay. The old battery had been leaking and I believe it got acid on the relay and put it on the fritz.

Okay gents, I took the starter down to autozone to have it tested and it passed. I guess the only thing left is the starter relay.

Paul, I saw your post you were talking about, and yes they're similar problems and I hope I have the same problem. I ordered a new starter relay and it'll be in tomorrow.

I'll let ya'll know if it works....

Last edited:

Thanks for all the help guys, it's running like a top now, and not on its own. The fix was replacing the starter relay. Also, I found something else while i was under the hood. The wire off of the coil that has the filter capacitor on the end of it was broken off the capacitor and the rest of the wire was burnned up. The wire on the inside was gone, leaving only the wire's insulation, which was also partly toasted. I don't know it that's what caused the starter relay to go bad but it's the only other difference I can see under the hood. If I accidently broke the wire off this cap without knowing it and it grounded itself against the block I can see this wire getting burned up like it did. The thing I don't know is if that would have caused the relay to go out.

Anyway....it's fixed.

Back